‘Providing the UK with individual styles from times gone by…’

Judy’s returned to Nottingham on Sunday 6th February at the Hopkinson Gallery, bringing us ‘vintage traders, jewellers and designers from the four corners, brandishing stock from the twenties through to the eighties’. Judy’s believe vintage is ‘an eco-friendly, innovative antidote to disposable fashion, providing on-trend items that withstand the test of time’. Traveling to 22 cities across the UK, Judy’s is the largest vintage fair of its kind – and don’t worry, if you missed it last weekend you can still grab yourselves a bargain at Derby University Student Union on 12th February or Leicester De Montfort SU on February 13th.

We sent Eloise Moran to check it out…

A Stylish Af-fair

Despite being recommended to visit ‘Judy’s Affordable Vintage Fair’, I was dubious. So often have I visited different fairs to be confronted by racks and rails of hideous garments and seldom have found that ‘one-off’ piece that I went with the intention of finding. I was apprehensive that I was yet again entering an enormous costume cupboard full of wacky (and tacky) sequins and shoulder-pads.

Accessories galore

The fair was tucked away in the Hopkinson gallery (opposite Nottingham train station). As I entered I was surprised at the tranquil atmosphere. That’s not to say that it was quiet; it was really quite busy but it seemed that people were pacing themselves. There was so much that I could have bought and I knew trying to control myself would be impossible – I was about to spend a lot. Tables of vintage pieces reclaimed as costume jewellery, pretty summer dresses, gorgeous jackets, waistcoats, wicker bags; the list could go on. I even found a vintage Burberry jacket that was a steal at only £35.

DIY inspiration

Upstairs, I wandered into a room signposted ‘Dorothy’s Wardrobe’. Here beautifully selected pieces were showcased at reasonable prices. Once inside we found out that this was actually a permanent feature in the Hopkinson gallery…Uh-oh, even more temptation for my poor little credit card.

One downside however, was the lack of male clothes. Many men who had arrived seemed slightly disappointed by the small selection of flannel shirts and vintage jackets- all of which seemed a bit repetitive.  This proved a little problematic for those who’d brought their guys along, as it meant pressure to hurry up with their shopping. Advice? Don’t bring your boyfriend… and maybe not all your savings, as this place is extremely dangerous, but so very worth it.

For more information on Judy’s Affordable Vintage Fair, go to   www.vintagefair.co.uk or join the Nottingham Facebook group.

In Pictures: Varsity American Football

Good Week, Bad Week - 11th February 2011