A Good Week for… Petrol Prices

On 20th February, at a Tesco garage petrol station near you (actually in Fleetsbridge),  the price of unleaded petrol was temporarily altered from 125.9p a litre to 25.9p a litre. No, this isn’t a heavenly dream –  there has been no economic revolution and no, the price of petrol has not suddenly plummeted. This was instead the product of a rather amusing petrol price prank. Not only did the pranksters kindly lower the price of petrol, but they also changed the lettering on the petrol price signboard to create the acronym LOL, ensuring that passers-by were laughing out loud as they drove merrily past. Unfortunately staff corrected the sign all too quickly, cutting short the hilarity in an attempt to prevent a rush from excited local motorists. Apparently the staff at the garage are well rehearsed in dealing with petrol pranksters, having dealt with a similar prank last November.

A Bad Week for… Manchester Airport

It has actually been a bad few weeks for Manchester Airport.  Presenting an embarrassing spectacle for airport security, an inconspicuous couple who had accidentally swapped passports managed to walk straight through the facial recognition scanners at Terminal One of Manchester Airport. The scanners in question supposedly function by scanning passengers’ faces and then comparing them to the photos digitally stored on their biometric passports. Luckily, an immigration officer was  manning the gates at the time and therefore noticed the error in time to stop the couple. The Home Office confirmed that the facial scanners at Manchester Airport were temporarily suspended as a result of the incident, although they are now back in use.

This unfortunate glitch follows the charade caused by two unique additions to Manchester Airport. At the end of January, holograms John and Julie were installed in Terminal 1 to remind passengers of security regulations. The technology used is the same that brings the animated band Gorillaz to the stage, with the images being projected onto a specialised surface. Although the holograms represent an attempt to make the airport a less confusing environment, the holograms have managed to cause even greater confusion, bewildering many passengers who presented their boarding passes to the transient beings.

Let’s hope the bad luck at Manchester isn’t contagious!

Hannah Pupkewitz, Kateryna Rolle and Daniel Fine

‘On the Campaign Trail’ - The Sutton Bonington Question

Take it or Leave it: The Hobson's Choice Facing Nottingham Students