This year will mark twenty years since Elbow formed in 1991, with the last few years seeing the band escalate to new heights of acclaim. Although long established on the music scene, Elbow’s 2008 album ‘The Seldom Seen Kid’ achieved unprecedented success. Their latest offering ‘Build a Rocket Boys’ features significantly in their current set of live shows and is on course to be another big hit for the band.

Elbow followed an outstanding support in the form of Villagers, an Irish band (suitable for this particular night) who themselves are growing in acclaim, with their debut album ‘Becoming a Jackal’ earning them a place on the shortlist for the 2010 Mercury Prize.

As impressive as Elbow’s musical skill was, it was their stage presence that really stole the show. Despite the size of the arena, front-man Guy Garvey created a friendly atmosphere and even climbed to the seats farthest at the back of the venue to sing with the fans for the final song One Day Like This’.

Elbow were not afraid to bring in new songs to their set either, with these tracks complimenting the much more familiar songs the band are known for. ‘Grounds For Divorce’, a key track from ‘The Seldom Seen Kid’ went down extremely well, with the crowd euphoric as the stage exploded with lights and giant screens to create maximum visual effect.

Having heard reviews claiming Elbow as a “must-see-live” band, I can now confirm that such a view is justified. The atmosphere for the show was fantastic and their songs were well presented. With such growing success it is likely that this will be the first of many arena tours, and I for one would definitely get tickets for next time!

Chris Morris

5/5

<em>Impact</em> meets Chase and Status

Album Review: Sylosis - 'Edge of the Earth'

1. MICK
    April 5, 2011 at 21:49 — Reply

THERE IS NO DOUBT, ELBOW ARE ONE OF THE GREAT BANDS FOR SOME TIME..CANT STOP LISTENING TO THEIR NEW ALBUM BUILD A ROCKET BOY…AND I MEAN CANT STOP LISTENING