In what has largely been a very close race between all of the candidates, former Women’s Officer Rosie Tressler has prevailed in her bid to be the next Equal Opportunities & Welfare Officer against three other determined candidates. Upon winning she told Impact ”This is one of the best things that’s ever happened to me; the two weeks were so worth it”.

Her strongest opposition perhaps came in the form of Sophie Hindley and her enthusiastic take on campaigning with her extensive Facebook campaign and presence across campus in her Supergirl outfit. Another strong candidate was Elorm Haligah who also fashioned his campaign along a similar style via his Power Rangers costume and campus involvement. Matt Byrne led a rather understated yet resolute campaign centred on thorough reform that was perhaps hindered by the lack of overt publicity in comparison to the other campaigners. Rosie told Impact ”I really genuinely have a lot of respect for the other candidates”.

Ultimately, Tressler was able to pull ahead of the rest through her strong policies focusing on all fields of equality and proactive ways, such as ‘Tea Parties’ and a ‘Buddy’ system in which to strengthen and develop her manifesto points. Her campaign, though far from as flamboyant as Hindley or Haligah’s, was still able to gain significant attention through promotional videos and a driven Facebook campaign.

The central aspect to Tressler’s campaign was her promise to be a relatable Equal Opportunities & Welfare Officer interested in addressing the issues faced by students. Another concern of Tressler’s is student health and she wants to increase the role of ‘Easy Tiger’, to install free water fountains around campus and introduce vegetarian, vegan, halal and kosher food options. Tressler intends to ensure that representation of women, black and minority ethnic students, disabled students, LBGT students, postgraduates, international students and mature students is balanced and adequate for their respective needs.

Sam Le Pard Pounces into the Exec

Simon Proven the Papa Smurf

1. March 12, 2011 at 11:38 — Reply

So chuffed for Rosie! By far the best candidate 🙂

2. Brendan Mahon

Katie looks SO unimpressed in this photo.