Taekwondo is a dynamic martial art and full Olympic sport, the modern form of the fighting arts developed over the past two thousand years in Korea. Best known for its spectacular aerial kicks and literally translated as “to smash and destroy with the hand and foot”, Taekwondo is much more than just kicking and punching.

Not just for the incredibly athletic, there are benefits for everybody, young and old, male or female, with improved co-ordination, weight loss, flexibility and greater confidence to name a few. There are few better ways to de-stress or even just to work off that essential essay-writing pack of chocolate Hobnobs!

The University Taekwondo club is the biggest and most successful martial arts club in the University, and as a member of the Traditional Taekwondo Association, every member of the club is graded by Grandmaster Loh, 9th degree black belt and two time European champion. Grandmaster Loh holds several training sessions at the university every year, including a weeklong event over summer, ensuring students can meet the highest standards.

The club encourages competition, attending several national events each year including the British Students Taekwondo Federation Championships. Last year saw a haul of over 50 medals, and there are also international opportunities for those who progress far enough.

Taekwondo club organise loads of socials throughout the year which are a great way to meet new people and always tons of fun. So whether you’re a complete beginner or an aspiring world champion, why not come down as see what we’re all about? Training is on Monday’s at 6pm and Wednesday’s at 5pm in the University Sports Centre.

Adam Turner

Critics' Choice (And Lack Thereof)

Against All Odds: Is Student Gambling on the Rise?