It’s been a good year for football fans on the south bank of the river Trent, with Forest fans treated to another playoff campaign by Manager Billy Davies. Forest’s fluid passing style has been great to watch this season. Brian Clough, a Nottingham Forest legend once argued “If God had wanted Football to be played in the air, he’d have put the grass up there” and the Reds took the great man’s advice throughout the championship season.  Luke Chambers, the fans’ player of the year played an instrumental role in the team’s success, scoring six league goals and proving his defensive credentials to all those who doubted him last season.  His sterling effort in the play-offs, coupled with Robert Earnshaw’s clinical finishing almost saw Forest through to a Wembley final, but it wasn’t to be.

The City Ground has not been short of action this season.  Casting my mind back to a cold, misty December night in the Main Stand, my personal highlight was seeing the reds easily overcome local rivals Derby County 5-2 to lift the Brian Clough Trophy, which they retained at Pride Park a month later.  Lee Camp has excelled once again between the goalposts and is steadily becoming a Forest favourite.  Lewis McGugan has been a potent attacking force, bagging 13 goals for the club over the course of the Championship Season, including some superb long range efforts against Cardiff and Watford.

Davies has nurtured his young side brilliantly once again despite struggling with an ever decreasing squad size.  He had to rely on youngsters Joel Lynch and Brendan Moloney, who each performed well when asked to fill in at full back on numerous occasions as the short-term loans of Ryan Bertrand and Paul Konchesky expired.  Amongst the impressive loan signings for Davies was Aaron Ramsey, who lit up the pitch during his short rehabilitative spell at the club.  The injury of Dexter Blackstock against QPR in November sparked a flurry of signings for Davies, who brought in Marcus Tudgay, Kris Boyd and Robbie Findley as cover.

It is undeniable that Forest still have a way to go if they are to compete at a Premier League standard against the best clubs in the world.  Swansea City’s strong defence and ruthless attack magnified many problems which need to be addressed in the 3-1 defeat at the Liberty Stadium.  A permanent left-back and greater amount of strength in depth is clearly necessary for further progression in the football league. Siphiwe Tshabalala (who became a global icon for a while after scoring the opening goal of the 2010 World Cup for South Africa,) Calum Davenport and Danny Guthrie have been strongly linked with a move to West Bridgeford this season so these will doubtlessly be the ones to watch over the summer.

Oliver Barnes

IMPACT will be starting up a Nottingham Forest blog next semester to go hand-in-hand with our County blog. Check back at www.impactnottingham.com in September for more on all things Forest!

Varsity Rugby - Uni Ladies Left Wanting as Trent Soar to Victory

Live Review: Perfume Genius at The Bodega Social Club - 15/05/11

1. David Hague
    May 22, 2011 at 07:35 — Reply

Oliver,

You’ve comitted the cardinal sin! There is no such team as NOTTS FOREST.

2. May 22, 2011 at 16:43 — Reply

I support David. We’re Nottingham Forest or Nott’m Forest not Notts. Thats for the county buggers…

3. Ollie Barnes
    May 22, 2011 at 20:16 — Reply

Yes apologies for that, it was only put in as a post-script to inform readers about the new blog. Next time just read it as “Nott’m” Forest instead. Thanks

4. May 22, 2011 at 20:18 — Reply

Fixed!

5. Jonny
    May 22, 2011 at 23:34 — Reply

Dexter’s injury was against Cardiff…

6. Tim Edwards
    May 22, 2011 at 23:59 — Reply

I’ll take the bullet on that one. Blame it on uncontrollable excitement for survival sunday affecting my typing!

7. Ollie Barnes
    May 23, 2011 at 12:51 — Reply

@Jonny, you’re quite right. That was an oversight on my part, apologies for that.

8. […] for three months but already appears to be under the cosh More here: Nottingham Forest 1-2 Derby Steve McClaren, the Nottingham Forest manager, may have been considering his future at the club onl…a former Derby player and coach, has only been in the job for three months but already appears to be […]