If you were lucky enough to be one of the five thousand students who enjoyed a day full of revelry, great music and an atmospheric thunderstorm (in true English festival style) at last year’s Summer Party,  then we’re sure you will already be eagerly counting down the days until the 4th June.

For those of you missed out, fear not because this year’s Summer Party is going to be bigger and better than ever before. From back-stage interviews, frontline pictures, reviews and commentary, Impact’s coverage of the day will make sure you don’t miss a thing, leading up to, during and after the biggest student campus festival in Europe.

This year’s headline acts, Chase and Status, Example and Feeder, are sure to expel all painful memories of long days and nights trapped in Hallward. However if that doesn’t suit your tastes, Summer Party has far more to offer. The Detonate and Crisis vs Ocean tents, along with fairground rides, inflatable games and the new fancy dress parade, will ensure that this ‘student Glastonbury’ will offer something for everyone.

In the days leading up to the event Impact will be giving you a rundown of all the acts playing on the day, as well as exclusive interviews with the organisers and top tips on how to make the most out of the day. Backstage interviews and reviews of the bands will be available the morning after Summer Party, in addition to hundreds of snaps of all festival-goers and celebrities alike, so you can continue to relive the mayhem when you’re nursing a hangover the following day.

So, during your last week of reluctant revision, what better way to procrastinate than to keep following Impact’s coverage on our Facebook and Twitter pages (details at top of page). The Impact team also want to hear any questions you have for your favourite bands, so please send them in to [email protected]

If you haven’t already got your ticket, get online now as you don’t want to be missing out on this. With a loyal Impact team at your side, our full coverage will ensure that your amazing day is not forgotten!

Becky Hutter and Jack Gilbert

Album Review: Mischief Brew - 'The Stone Operation'

Varsity in Pictures - Women's Football

1. Ex-Tax Dodger
    May 27, 2011 at 10:37 — Reply

A few things:
    1) There were nowhere near 5,000 attendees last year. It was not a sell-out because somebody thought it would be a good idea to book N-Dubz.
    2) A great way to preview this years festival would be to investigate how Summer Party lost £70k of student money last year. Then look at what the new team are doing to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

2. Ben
    May 27, 2011 at 15:43 — Reply

To Tax-Dodger

1) How do you know how many people went last year? The site capacity was about 8500, they were hoping to sell 6500 tickets. The actual number sold was around the 5000 mark. There were certainly ALOT of people there last year who enjoyed seing NDubz – check out the photos/videos of the mainstage if you don’t believe me.

2) The reason why they made a loss last year is pretty obvious and was answered by your first question: they did not sell enough tickets (!!!) it is also plainly obvious for anyone that has been around the portland building or on facebook to see what steps are being taken to ensure this doesn’t happen again!! Why do I get the feeling that you are the type of person who would complain if sumer party made a profit and argue that it was ripping off students?!

Impact are providing coverage of an event that will be enjoyed and remembered by thousands of students – who will want to read reviews, see picture from the event and read the interviews so why on earth should Impact’s coverage be based around last years event?!

I am certainly looking forward to the coverage!

3. Ex-Tax Dodger
    May 28, 2011 at 00:44 — Reply

@Ben- Tickets last year were being sold for something around the £35 mark. £70k/35=2000

Would SP last year EVER have made a profit? If they sold 5000ish tickets and made a £70k loss and they were hoping to sell 6500 tickets then that would still equate to a £17.5k loss even if they sold 6500 tickets.

If you actually are Ben Ingram of SP 2010 fame then I would like to ask if you actually bothered to pick up a calculator or did you just throw bundles of SU money at some clown in a crap hat? How much were Dappy and co. to book? When did it dawn upon you that you would make a horrific loss?

@Mr SU- I said an investigation (accounts ect.), not just 3 paragraphs of speculation, regurgitation and a few quick words from the coordinator.

IMPACT has been great this year but investigating the great SP loss of 2010 has been the biggest opportunity for some great journalism missed…

4. May 29, 2011 at 17:12 — Reply

the figure of 5,000 students came from Gemma Chance, the organiser of the event… to be precise it was 5,200

5. Mr SU
    May 30, 2011 at 14:28 — Reply

I agree, it would have made for some great journalism, but I think the SU has made the right call this year removing it as an SRS

6. kells
    May 30, 2011 at 17:34 — Reply

Haha what on earth is your problem ex-tax dodger? I agree with Ben, you’re probably the sort of person who would buy a summer party ticket just to try and find things to complain about it!! Summer Party’s going to be great this year surely its history is irrelevant.

• Ex-Tax Dodger
      May 31, 2011 at 12:49 — Reply

I didn’t buy a summer party ticket last year because of the poor line-up. I did buy a ticket the previous two years.

7. Ben
    May 31, 2011 at 15:41 — Reply

@Ex tax dodger

No I am not ben who organised summer party 2009 (NOT 2010 as you incorrectly stated)

Also – you must be the only fan of ladyhawke out there if you thought that the 2009 mainstage lineup was better than the 2010 mainstage lineup.

Also in response to your question would summer party ever had made a profit last year? the answer is clearly YES if they had sold enough tickets – based on your maths you can quite clearly see that if they had sold 8000 then they would have made a profit. moron.

And also – on a bit of a sidepoint it is not SU money, it is company money.

• Ex-Tax Dodger
      June 1, 2011 at 08:35 — Reply

“they were hoping to see 6500 (tickets)” says Ben…
      The fact that they were hoping to sell an amount of tickets that would have still made a loss shows not only a clear lack of strategy but an incredible amount of negligence and stupidity. You said that they were hoping to sell an amount of tickets that would have still made a considerable loss.

You’re right, Ladyhake was a joke. The Futureheads, The Rakes and Kano/Chase and Status were great though.

8. Erm
    May 31, 2011 at 16:11 — Reply

Hey Ben.

Just a couple of things.

Sure, they would have made a profit if they had sold the correct number of tickets. The fact that they didn’t indicates a clear deficiency in event strategy.

Also, you say it isn’t SU money however, the substantial yearly donation from the company to the SU is governed by success on company level. Combine this with the fact that most of the profit the company makes is through investment by students at the SU Shop, Ticket sales and Mooch, I’d say that it probably is Students’ Money, indirectly.