Really? Why? You know why. How long are you back at home before you start to crave being back at university? Not long would be my guess. Those who have houses start to long for the freedoms of independent living and those in halls begin to think about how good hall life is (despite the daily culinary Armageddon that masquerades itself as hall food).

[pullquote]”The point is, holidays aren’t what they used to be. At school, they were a Holy Grail filled with a heady mix of excitement and fun and stuff. Now they seem to be an opportunity to be paraded in front of distant relations.”[/pullquote]

Of course, it is great to see your family and your friends. And all the creature comforts make a very welcome return; it is nice to come home to a warm house. This cannot be overemphasised- it is irritating having to look after the resident penguins in Lenton. However for most impoverished students, the spectre of holiday work suddenly materialises and before you know it you’re on 5p an hour. Having been ‘let go’ from my previous employment as a pot washer (some nonsense about a dirty kitchen…) I find myself currently working for a pub landlord whose name still eludes me because of his unbelievably Kentish accent. I’ve lived in the area for well over a decade but for all that I understand he might as well try to communicate through interpretative dance. To top it off the locals all resemble the unfortunate love child of Worzel Gummidge and a potato.

I have no doubt that many of you will, during the holidays, think whimsically of favourite university pastimes. Seeking the sanctuary of Hallward to sit around all day vaguely hoping to be quoted in ‘Overheard in Hallward’ springs to mind. So too does the blissful cliché of drinking all evening under the thin veil of drinking games, followed by anecdote-worthy outings which all seem to result in someone sleeping upside down in a comfy looking bin.

I digress. The point is, holidays aren’t what they used to be. At school, they were a Holy Grail filled with a heady mix of excitement and fun and stuff. Now they seem to be an opportunity to be paraded in front of distant relations (“what course did you say you were doing again my dear?”), and of course a chance to achieve absolutely no work in preparation for exams which really ought to be taken a little more seriously. To compound this misery an endless stream of ‘things you have to do’ is presented to you with all the entertainment factor of a bout of typhoid.

I should stop moaning really. It is all too easy to put on those rosy spectacles and forget the soul-melting process of writing 11th hour essays on a topic you know so little about you may as well reference the opinions of a passing cat.  All considered, for all its faults, the holidays offer a welcome break from the (mostly money related) stresses and coma-inducing lectures of university life. Maybe I’m just feeling grumpy at the moment because it’s nearly time to trek out again and go and pull pints for the hop loving yokels.

William Robertson

Hymns @ The New Theatre

Do you have what it takes to become our next Columnist or Blogger?

1. SB
    June 20, 2011 at 16:53 — Reply

a very funny article william, I do hope you’ll be writing for features next year.