Spring/Summer 2011’s major trend is colour, and plenty of it. For those of you wanting to take those rainbow hues further than your wardrobe, look towards beauty’s biggest and brightest style: dip-dyed hair. Colours ranged from the barely visible pastel shades at Proenza Schouler to the fluorescent colour blocking at Meadham Kirchoff. Lady Gaga, never one to miss out on outlandish hair styles, first adopted the beauty trend with her sunshine yellow dipped locks, while current style rival Nicki Minaj has taken it one bottle of bleach further with a range of Crayola-coloured stripey ends.

The hair salon that revolutionised the trend, Bleach, has set up a pop-up shop in Topshop’s Oxford Circus to provide the masses with kaleidoscopic dip-dyes and stencil-sprayed hair. For those of you who want to add a hint of summer fun to your locks then a DIY job is the solution. Look magazine suggests using Fudge’s Paintbox for an array of quirky tones such as Pretty Flamingo or Blue Hawaii that will last up to 30 washes.

If rainbow-coloured hair is a step too far, there is a natural-looking alternative. ‘Ombre’ hair, sported by the likes of Alexa Chung and Rachel Bilson is where the roots and mid-section are left a natural shade of brown, whilst the tips are dyed a sunkissed warm blonde. The look is low maintenance, highly cost-effective and works on pretty much all hair types.

Dip-dyed hair is certainly for the courageous and creative, but the spectrum of colours and levels of intensity mean that you can choose between a look of subtlety or eccentricity. If it isn’t your cup of tea, then just chop off your ends and start afresh.

Live Review: OpSoc presents 'The Marriage of Figaro'

True Extent Of Lecturer Strike Revealed