Nottingham has been the victim of copycat unrest following the London Riots. The worst of the damage was in the St Ann’s area of Nottingham, where a police station was petrol bombed. Across the city, 40 cars were vandalised or set on fire and houses were damaged. There were reports of sporadic looting, including smashed windows at the Victoria Centre in the heart of the city. Over 100 police officers were mobilised to gain control of the situation. As a result, a 20-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy from the local area were arrested.

Timeline of last night’s events
Day-time: A Facebook group encouraging unrest in the city is created. Alerts on Twitter result in this group being taken down.
11:30pm: A gang of 30 people throw missiles at a marked police car in Abbotsford Drive. The group moves to JD Sports in the Victoria Centre, but flee after being confronted by police.
12:00am: 200 tyres in Gowthorne Street, New Basford, set alight.
12:30am: Police station in St Ann’s petrol bombed. Two private vehicles damaged in the rear yard of the station.
12:30-2am: Cars damaged in Kelham Green and Luther Close, St Ann’s. One car stolen in Pym Street and driven deliberately into 10 other parked cars, causing significant damage.

Assistant chief constable Paul Scarott, who was in charge of the operation, made the following statement:

“What provoked a night of serious disorder is not clear, but I can only assume that a mindless minority may have somehow, and perversely, felt motivated by the appalling events in London in the last few days.Throughout the night officers have put themselves in harm’s way to protect the people of this city and their property in what was a fast moving and dynamic situation. Thankfully, no-one suffered any injuries – due in large part to the speed of response and the determination of my officers.

“But let me be plain. What happened last night has no justification. It was mindless, thuggish criminality, nothing more, nothing less, and it will not be tolerated. We have a significant amount of evidence to help identify and bring to book those who engaged in criminality overnight. Faces have been captured on CCTV. Forensic evidence has been obtained. There will be absolutely no hiding place for those criminals responsible and they can expect to be arrested for their actions.The most appalling, and incomprehensible aspect to last night’s events, is that the majority of those involved, we believe, live in the very community they attacked. It is their neighbour’s home, their neighbour’s car, their neighbour’s peace of mind that they violated.

“I would urge the people of this proud city – as many were doing last night on various social networking sites – to not only condemn the loutish thuggery and wanton damage, but to work with the police to help identify all those responsible.
“This is our city. Hundreds of police officers live in this city. We are your neighbours. If we work together, we will prevent any repetition of last night’s criminality.

“The terrible destruction caused to London over three nights of rioting cannot, and will not, be replicated in Nottingham, and I warn anyone who plans to get involved in any criminality tonight or in the nights to come to know that we will identify you and ensure you are prosecuted.”

Fiona Crosby

For further updates on tonight’s events in Nottingham, follow us at @ImpactBreaking.

(Image posted on Twitter http://twitpic.com/63d34k)

Review - Arrietty

Social Media has Exposed the Worst in Us, and the Best as Well: A Reflection on the Riots

1. semtex
    August 9, 2011 at 14:20 — Reply

idiots what do you think you will achieve by causing troube and abuseing innocent people and causing hundreds of thousands of pounds of dammage to your own community the only people who will come out on top will be them and you will end up withnothing and you will have no one to blame except yourselves ave your day in court let justice decide

• nxt
      August 9, 2011 at 23:27 — Reply

i dont see the point in damaging property homes withs familys and i think its stupid its over nothing and anyway its a riot not a time to loot

2. August 9, 2011 at 14:48 — Reply

Just another night in scummy St. Anns really then…

• Miss H
      August 9, 2011 at 17:25 — Reply

In reply to MRBOB’s comment, St Anns may not be as upper market as West Bridford, but its by no means scummy and NO it was not just another night in St Anns! There are hard working decent people who’s cars were damaged and set alight and homes damaged. People having to leave their homes in the middle of the night with children under 5, to escape what could have been a much worse situation. Its a small minority that behave in such an unaceptable way.

3. Waylon
    August 9, 2011 at 15:40 — Reply

The people involved in these riots are basically self harming. They are wrecking their own community and their neighbours property and ultimately their involvement will wreck their own lives. The makers of certain films and games must take some responsibility too. The youngsters are fuelled by this material. Violence, fires, explosions have been transferred from the X Box into reality. We need to monitor what is available to young people. They are not fighting for a cause. This is about the excitement of being part of a destructive mob. All this will have to be paid for. Higher insurance premiums, higher council tax, higher prices in shops etc. This will not help economic recovery, it can only make things worse. I can only wish these people total misery when they are caught,they deserve nothing better. They are wrecking the lives of good, decent, hard working people.

• Jackskivvy
      August 9, 2011 at 18:02 — Reply

Higher price for all the things these scum do not pay for

• August 9, 2011 at 21:41 — Reply

Higer taxes for the hard working individuals who also pay for Job seekers allowance for the very scums who are fuelling the riots. These people do not care if thier actions will impact the taxpayers ultimately as they will never be in a position to pay tax because they are down and out scumbags. This society has created them (easy money sitting on your bum and little punishment for the wrong doing)and now it must suffer.

• Gwailo
      August 9, 2011 at 18:43 — Reply

It’s not xbox that is to blame. If a specific source of media should be blamed, it is rap. I know that’s what old farts would say but it’s true. Glamourising street violence, gang activities and the criminal lifestyle.

Are there pics of these rioters?

• Anon1606
        August 9, 2011 at 23:12 — Reply

In response to the comment that Rap and more specifically Gangster Rap is to blame for these riots, your argument is invalid and your logic is highly questionable. There has been cases of uprising like this long before Rap music existed. The root cause of it is greed, the riots in London started as a response to the murder of an innocent man by the Police who are supposed to be our protectors but as ever quickly degenerated in to looting. It is too easy too blame popular cultural themes such as Gangster Ra but it is just a reflection of what was already happening.

• TeenDebater!
          August 10, 2011 at 14:47 — Reply

I agree partially to the fact that “Gangsta Rap” has influenced some and has glorified being a “thug”, explosions and fire, which could make the occurrence of these riots “OK” in the bliss of the rioters mindlessness and lack of remorse for others.
          Yes, this act of rioting may have been repeated way before rap existed, but in contrast to the present and past, many thing have advanced; mainly technology. It’s mainly worse now due to media distortions on the views of the world and what we do. The targeted audience for the style of music is young adults and those are the ones being influenced highly. But even children as young as ten are involved, showing family can be to blame for the restrictions of their child. So I have come to the conclusion, that young adults and young children will have the mindset to do these things with lack of knowledge and background to their action and as for the “copycat” rioters; no cause and inflict these acts in real life situations.
          Many people will also listen Rap music and rely a lot on the media but they have self-control.
          Others mindset/brain age does not match their biological age be quite frank (basically immaturity) and so get the impulse to do these acts without thought.

But I will be open minded by saying there is a chance there blaming there human action on materialistic things so they do not get punished, which they ALL should. It’s questionable.
          I send my condolences to those who are affected by the riots & God Bless.

4. Uta
    August 9, 2011 at 15:57 — Reply

I hope my friends are not affected. God be with them. May these riots stop soon and may peace be there for all…

5. SN
    August 9, 2011 at 16:05 — Reply

Mindless ignorant thuggery with no thought or respect for anyone or anything – least of all themselves! They need to grow up and start acting like human beings – even wild animals don’t behave in that manner! Sad, mindless idiots!

6. joey
    August 9, 2011 at 16:11 — Reply

scumbags plain and simple we are the only country in europe whos police do not carry a sidearm they wouldnt be so brave then, this wouldnt happen if the police where more heavy handed anyone remember the minors strike…..sorted them out

7. Adrian
    August 9, 2011 at 16:13 — Reply

Stop right there! I’m a gamer and have been since I was 8 I’m now 33. Games are NOT responsible! We need to be looking more at the governments that have caused this depression/recession that has forced people (teenagers) to do this. What have they got? Jobs? Prospects? The police are doing a great job and are stuck in the
    middle as usual, pay cuts and such. I’m guessing things are only going to get worse.

8. dee
    August 9, 2011 at 16:14 — Reply

the scum that roams in nottingham have no mind of there own, the only thing they understand is how to copy what someone else does. its been obvious for years that the thug mentality rules, one of the main problems is the police have constantly allowed it to happen up to the point of it boiling over. the police may be proud of there actions last night, but what about the past 15 years where these groups have been allowed to act without prosecution

9. Sarah
    August 9, 2011 at 16:21 — Reply

I am a 23yr old girl who finds this extremely disgusting behaviour, it is just proving all the older generation that all young people are thugs, i am finding all the destructive behaviour immature and selfish, what amusement are they getting from all this. I hope that these people are brought to justise and no treleased for a very long time, as i feel that they are a danger to the city and their lack of consideration will put someone in serious danger or even worse dead! Grow up and think.

10. st anns girl
    August 9, 2011 at 16:21 — Reply

not every one in st anns is bad

11. Naomi
    August 9, 2011 at 16:23 — Reply

I dont understand all this! People are fighting for our country in Iraq and Afghanistan, yet people are destroying it! What a pathetic excuse to ruin something great that we have! All this riots in London should not of be published on TV as much as they feel obliged to tell the world, If the press hadn’t shown it, many people would not be able to copy it as they would not know about it! I’m only 18 and me and many others dont understand why we create so much grief for no reason! Pathetic Pathetic Pathetic excuse of a country! and the people in it!

12. sam James
    August 9, 2011 at 16:27 — Reply

Trying to lay the blame on games consoles is just trying to shift the blame, and ultimately pointless. Millions of people in the UK play these games (myself included), however it’s just the minority causing the trouble. In fact, it’s probably those that are too poor to afford such games consoles. People who are bored/unemployed. I’m not condoning what is happening in any way, I just think that blaming video games is daft, as it’s wrong, and it gets you nowhere. However, these morons need to be dealt with. They’re wrecking people’s communities and livelihoods, communities which they’re a part of. The stupidity of other people never ceases to amaze me.

13. Richard Hopkins
    August 9, 2011 at 16:29 — Reply

Why does it seem these rioters are behaving like terrorists???
    I’m not a muslim but if a muslim individual was to carry out or be a part of any of these acts, then a title of Islamists or Muslim Terrorists would be highlighted in the media.

Seems to me like theres a difference in wording for different groups, if an act is carried out or not.

Apologies if this post upsets anybody. Just making a comment.

What is happening is wrong without a doubt…

14. ella
    August 9, 2011 at 16:44 — Reply

u such idiots and will be punished u stupid little people. If the cause happened in london then why are u taking out on other people. IDIOTS.

15. keith
    August 9, 2011 at 16:45 — Reply

Waylon you can’t blame all this on X Box i’m afraid. Games like Grand Theft Auto have been around for years early 90’s actually and yet nothing has happened like this before. There is a lot more sinister then video games behind this. Facebook plays it’s part as mentioned.

16. August 9, 2011 at 16:56 — Reply

Got to say, well played IMPACT and Fiona for getting this reported on so quickly during a time most other student media is pretty inactive.

17. simigg
    August 9, 2011 at 17:23 — Reply

if the police cant handle it just be honest and let us know ,THEN WE WILL DEAL WITH IT , and it wont be pleasent , its the only thing these tossers understand, just rubber bullet them simple, it doesnt take brains to work that one out

• DM
      August 9, 2011 at 21:01 — Reply

If caught lose benefits!!!!!!! For ever.

18. rach
    August 9, 2011 at 17:44 — Reply

Well done for this article, with so much focus (and rightly so) on the awful riots in London it can be easy to forgot what might be coming our way! I am concerned and scared, but that said I have been for years. I was terrorised in my home by mindless thugs for years and felt the police did or could do nothing. I was asked to consider selling up and moving even by the police because there was nothing they could do to prevent the vandalism and abuse I was suffering. I sold my home but they reigned on and claimed new territory. For years this behaviour has been happening to innocent people – mindless thugs and cowards who face no consequence but fulfill their desire to be recognised for trouble causing and having that badge of honour knowing the police can’t touch them. They have no fear I have experienced it, especially of police.

19. Mat
    August 9, 2011 at 18:04 — Reply

These young people are victims of a sick society with deeper manifestations of socio-economic issues that continue to be ignored. For what opportunity do these young people have of a sustainable future when they are born into a society that is possessed by the pursuit of money, wealth, greed, control and mass population reduction methods that have been engineered in great depth. This reflects in there attempts to gain financial outcome through looting. This type of so called branded “criminal acts” bare a distinct reflection of the real issues that lie deep at the heart of the collapsing economy. As the elite 1% continue to gain more money and commodities than the other 99% of the plane, 1,000,000,000 people on the planet continue to starve of the bare essentials of life, food and water. The other 99% of the population continue to experience a deterioration in health whilst feeding the pockets of elite businessmen and government officials.

This is an issue of global equality that is at stake, it is not a realistic justification to blame these youth for there acts of desperation and cries for attention. You only have to use bit of common sense and logic and look back through recent years, we have never ever witnessed this scale of this type of behaviour from youth before. Just as we never had 2/3 people with cancer, 3/4 people diabetes and 2/3 people obese. These are all symptoms of an ever increasing sick society. We all need to start to work together, stop chasing the pound and develop some values and equality in society.
    Mat

• making my blood boil
      August 9, 2011 at 21:40 — Reply

utter crap! these morons who incite violence and criminal damage are NOT victims! they do not know right from wrong, this is at least 2nd generation chav scum, groups of family members who have have NEVER worked, they are bored, but that does not make them victims, I was brought up on a rough council estate but I got off my backside and worked, all of my life, where are the parents, ?? the Police need to grow a pair of bollocks and get the water cannon out, ideally with a dye in it, that way it would be easy to round up the vermin, ! no soft scentences, birch em!

• bec
        August 9, 2011 at 23:11 — Reply

Studies have been completed into the effects of violence on people and they have found to have very little effect on people so why do people seem to go back to that? Games are not an issue, stop talking about it! I grew up with idiots like these, the nottingham ones I mean and they were fucked in the head before they ever owned video games. The real concern is stopping teenage pregnancy completely and making sure those who have kids raise them with the right morals and educate them. You don’t have to go to university to get an alright paid job. Its about effort. I find it so funny to see comments on facebook of people who have never been in the same room of people like those involved in the nottingham riots being so shocked or having a laugh about it. These people have also been around and they probably always will be, the riots in london just gave them an excuse to carry it out. I just don’t understand why people are so surprised and why the police can’t do anything.

20. Amanda Pinkerton
    August 9, 2011 at 18:35 — Reply

Bring the army in. Let them work for our own country for a change. ZERO TOLLERANCE I SAY!!!!

• dan
      August 9, 2011 at 19:53 — Reply

Bringing in the army is a disastrous idea. We need the rule of law to prevail, not military intervention. Anyone who goes out tonight will be in trouble. Cameron cant afford to lose the battle again. I’m only talking about London though. The Nottingham delayed reaction is a bit farcical.

21. dan
    August 9, 2011 at 18:47 — Reply

Copycat in the sense that it happened before in London, Birmingham or Liverpool or for the causes (deep or shallow as they may be)?

Or aren’t we at that stage of analysis yet?

22. Dave Jackson
    August 9, 2011 at 18:50 — Reply

I concur with Tedwards, nice one guys. This is still the only student media institution at this uni that’s capable of doing news effectively.

As for the riots themselves, I know a lot of people are trying to oversimplify it or find one overarching ’cause’ for the entire thing. There are lot of things which ‘may’ be at play, though:

Consumerist society which causes people to idolise wealth, but makes it difficult for them to acquire it
    A poor police response, encouraging people to join existing riots or start their own because they don’t think they’ll be caught
    School holidays, so lots of youths with nothing else to do – see also unemployment
    Sense of perceived injustice about the shooting of Duggan, or perhaps just a feeling that the streets are more anarchic as a result of it (presenting opportunities for looting)
    Closing of local youth clubs and services (maybe, I’m not sure the people involved in this would really go to youth clubs)
    Ease of organisation, through smartphones etc
    Crowd mentality – people are always more violent and aggressive in groups, so many who otherwise would be peaceful have been ‘set off’ by the actions of a few
    Downfall of ‘society’, as evidenced by the lack of response from many in contrast to the solidarity of the turkish shop owners
    Poor education and upbringing – terrible parenting leading to delinquency

This is obviously not an exhaustive list, but I think all of them are definitely factors, and we certainly can’t condense it into one. I think the police one is the most important, though – if the police had tackled the situation effectively and immediately, I think this would have been much, much less of a problem.

There surely needs to be a ‘fear factor’ with the police, a feeling that they could potentially go OTT if given provocation, perhaps unexpectedly. As it happens, everyone worked out very quickly that the police were handling this lightly, and they’ve been taken advantage of.

23. dan
    August 9, 2011 at 19:10 — Reply

I would add as well the basic structural issues involved in our form of capitalism (or capitalism in general) where the disparities of wealth have appeared and widened since 1979 and the onset of neo-liberal capitalism. Social cohesion has been damaged.

Riots come out of discontentment, a sense of frustration, marginalisation and disenfranchisement. 2001 Northern riots, 2005 French riots have all come from a sense of frustration at the police, the system and social whitewashing of issues. Neo-liberal capitalism reduces us to individuals then blames outbreaks of violence on small core elements rather than structural reasons.

Beyond that I am not sure of the depth of these riots. 2001 and 2005 had obvious reasons. They were about defending your territory from the state which has done little for you and attacking state infrastructure. Its barely political here. Its opportunistic. The targets haven’t been the police or the state but in true British capitalistic style, they’ve been about looting the shops for goodies and vandalism like a Friday night.

And no, Big Society with its dis-empowerment and further marginalisation wont solve it.

24. August 9, 2011 at 19:29 — Reply

Hey guys,

I know that this is a very sad and terrifying time for everyone, but if you have something to say, please remember to stick to our rules: http://www.impactnottingham.com/comments-policy/

Any offensive material will not be approved. Keep the discussions clean!

25. david lyons
    August 9, 2011 at 20:07 — Reply

i used to live in nottingham , and thank my lucky stars that i moved away to a fairly peacefull area. this country is full of the wrong people and thats a fact. these people are pure scum and there parents are just as much to blame as they are. we havent learnt from the riots 30 years ago.

26. D90B
    August 9, 2011 at 20:31 — Reply

This is scary the riots.It is silly.People should stop.The people have made there points and everyone knows they arent joking.The only people to blame are there families and the Goverment.Just think if the Police never shot that guy all this may not have happened. :/ Hope all the people living in the rioting areas stay safe and the police catch the people responsible for these awful crimes.

27. josephine.
    August 9, 2011 at 20:38 — Reply

i agree, we have lads fighting and dieing for this bloody country, come on people i know you are angry but this is not the way.

and definately give the police firearms as they need the tools to do the job not do it with one arm tied behind their backs.

28. notts so good!
    August 9, 2011 at 21:19 — Reply

This all starts with some city councils they have led by bad example! over the last couple of years MPS & councilors have been lining there own pockets looting and robbing from the top down, how can they justify this when its them who’ve encouraged this kind of mindless behaviour!
    its going to get worse before it gets better! so lead by example councilers dig deep, for regeneration! and stop your pilfering!

29. Sham
    August 9, 2011 at 22:03 — Reply

Riots were started because an innocent man was killed, but by these riots starting aren’t more innocent people dying? and the rioters who rioted for a innocent man are killing innocents. What has this country become.Nothing good will come out of this. A wise man once said ”I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary. The evil it does is permanent”.

• Leo
      August 9, 2011 at 22:42 — Reply

Your innocent man carried a live firearm.

• Deon88
        August 9, 2011 at 23:33 — Reply

A firearm that was not fired the bullet in the coppers radio was met issue. Sayin that if undercover operations can carry a weapon that has the potential to kill -which it did- why cant the police trying to control the riots carry fire arms? At least plastic bullets???

30. […] Nottingham has been the victim of copycat unrest following the London Riots. The worst of the damage was in the St Ann’s area of Nottingham, where a police station was petrol bombed. Across the city, 40 cars were vandalised or set on fire and houses were damaged. There were reports of sporadic looting, including smashed windows at the Victoria Centre in the heart of the city. Over 100 police officers were mobilised to gain control of the situation. As a result, a 20-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy from the local area were arrested. Full story here. […]

31. steve
    August 9, 2011 at 22:24 — Reply

mindless twats with no jobs that have no respect for anything. just go & set fire to yourselves & do us all a favour you brainless wasters!!!

32. Waylon
    August 9, 2011 at 22:27 — Reply

For those of you who think video games, certain films and things shown on TV dont influence kids think again, they do. TV is reporting the riots and the riots are spreading. Some kids see it on TV and want to be a part of it. Huge fires and explosions seen in films are exciting to kids and some kids are setting fires to enjoy the destruction and mayhem for real. Some games also affect certain kids who enjoy the violent aspect of them. OK there are responsible gamers who just enjoy getting on to the next level, I realise that, but to say these various mediums dont affect some young people is silly. Clockwork Orange was banned at one time because of the affect it had on certain people. I know very little about video games but I am told by young people they can be very violent. That being the case they will have an affect on some youngsters. Anyway I think we are all agreed on one thing, the rioters must be stopped and punished very heavily for their crimes.

• Leo
      August 9, 2011 at 22:38 — Reply

I played computer games as a youngster which had violence in them. It is too easy to blame them. Blame lies with the individual as he or she knows right from wrong…blame the children, blame the parents then blame the games.

The likelihood of actually seeing all elements receiving just sentencing is remote..the Con-Dem Government wants to reduce prison spaces.
      It is a sad society when you cannot expect justice and have a wet fish in charge of Policing…

33. jane
    August 9, 2011 at 22:29 — Reply

fill a large plane with these scum and drop them all into afghanistan without protection see how brave they are then!

• Leo
      August 9, 2011 at 22:39 — Reply

In days of austerity how will they afford the fuel bill?

34. dan
    August 9, 2011 at 22:36 — Reply

the last few comments are retarded.

35. dan
    August 9, 2011 at 22:38 — Reply

I would add as well its good to see Impact covering events this quickly even if from a reported news POV. Big events that will shape the future of education the society occurred this year and its good to see us getting involved finally.

36. steve
    August 9, 2011 at 22:41 — Reply

The riots outside of london have nothing to do with the shooting by the police!! these idiots harp on about about no prospects & no jobs….come on! these scum dont want to work for a living, its easier to just take what they want from others. whould you give a job to these wasters? its all about looting to steal what decent hardworking people have to pay for. why bring in the military? they are allowed to do less than the police & thay cant bloody cope.
    go in hard & fast & stop bloody worrying about upsetting certain communities!!!! they’re not worried about upsetting decent folk. set an example & deal out proper punishments & not goddam HOLIDAY CAMPS!

37. Kel
    August 9, 2011 at 22:41 — Reply

What’s happening in Nottingham and other cities around the country is disgusting, mindless violence and criminal damage by people who don’t care about their communities, the law or any thing but themselves, I expect most don’t have a reason other than thinking it’s a laugh or to relieve the boredom, however I do get sick of people blaming video games, films and rap music, there are millions of people who like all of thoses things but don’t feel the need to behave like idiots.

38. steve
    August 9, 2011 at 22:45 — Reply

DAN, The only thing retarded are the thugs causing the trouble! wake up & smell the same roses that the rest of us can!!

39. Zoe-Robyn
    August 9, 2011 at 22:46 — Reply

Well, I am 14, around about and coming up to the age where the stereo type, that these Idiots seem intent on keeping on my generation, is that I am a loud, foul mouthed moron with no knowledge worth of credit, No morals and the most disgusting of all, amused by violence, drugs, drinking and sex. ( Me nor a majority of the people I know fit that stereotype)

So not only is this going to impact people directly, but also indirectly. Due to my age, I doupt I will ever be able to be treated by the community as a genuine person.

Now, less about how this is impacting me.
    The problem is, now both London, Nottingham’s and other areas Gangs and youth have started riots, other areas are going to want to “one up” them. The police are going to run out of people, they are already being out numbered.

Which brings me onto my next thought, our soldiers are over seas fighting a war for a country that is going to demolish its self. Shouldn’t we be bringing them home and have them on the streets? Youth are messing with police, men who have no guns, but they wouldn’t mess with a solider. Alternatively, have the territorial army on the streets until we get our hero’s home?I’m sure there is a law the Queen must pass to allow that, though I’m not certain on that part…

We all do know that this isn’t going to get better. Two, no..I think three city’s have been successfully over run for one night, so it is only a matter of time till others follow suit. Also even shorter amount of time until the already targeted are burn to the ground.

At the root of all this, I, along with others, blame the parents. Surely, a child brought up correctly would know there actions are wrong and would see sense and there for not do what they have done?

I’m sorry If how I wrote dose not flow all that well, but there are one too meany things to say, resulting in making a flow to my writing difficult (along with any grammar I am apologizing for)

I hope this ends soon, the decent people don’t need or deserve this.

40. didders
    August 9, 2011 at 22:48 — Reply

I play xbox all the time they r not to blame just people look for the easy way out for peoples behaviour people have just found a way of getting free items and are going out to trash shops and steal their goods end of in my opinion and by the way u say about people sat on there ass on jobseekers it is not easy finding a job at the moment not all of us who claim job seekers are drunks or druggy’s

41. dan
    August 9, 2011 at 22:48 — Reply

no one is arguing that the looters are morons. But that doesn’t validate the comments above.

• dan
      August 9, 2011 at 22:53 — Reply

sorry – aren’t morons..

42. bec
    August 9, 2011 at 22:49 — Reply

Absolute idiots. Its not games and films that cause this sort of behaviour, its the fact that they are as thick as pig shit and have been raised by shitty parents who have little to no morals. They only have themselves to blame for the way their lives are turning out. go get a f***ing job, stop smoking weed and drink less. There are jobs out there if they are willing to do them. I work at least 10 hours a day, 6 days a week and its hard work but its better than sitting watching your mates on jeremy kyle all day!

• steve
      August 9, 2011 at 22:57 — Reply

Totally agree bec!

43. August 9, 2011 at 22:50 — Reply

[…] […]

44. steve
    August 9, 2011 at 22:51 — Reply

Well said zoe. Good to know that we still have some decent young people for our future generation.

45. steve
    August 9, 2011 at 22:52 — Reply

Which comments are you referring to?

46. Waylon
    August 9, 2011 at 23:27 — Reply

We havent always been a soft society. Before the 1970s the police were tough, prison was hard, school teachers had authority and parents had respect. Kids had no options they had to behave and through dicipline they went on to become self diciplined adults. Many things changed around that time and sadly society has been in decline ever since. We have become far too tolerent and now we are paying for it. Unfortunately we cant turn back the clock.

47. Tron
    August 10, 2011 at 09:29 — Reply

So more rioting….
    As the politicians, the media and community leaders try and piece together the reasoning behind the violence and crime, the average lay person once again gets closer to the truth than any of them.

These people are not rioting because of their political views because they do not have any.

These people are not rioting because they are protesting about police action, because none of them is coming forward with a message (i have yet to see a banner being held by any of these rioters).

These people are not rioting because they feel disenfranchised, poor and the victims of government cutbacks…

These people are rioting because they can.

They have seen other people do it on the T.V. and have decided to join in the fun. They are part of a growing number of poorly behaved youth who have lacked discipline from the outset, beginning in their homes and carrying on in our schools and then into the justice system. This poor behaviour is becoming endemic in our society, where possession of material goods rains supreme and wide screen T.V. broadband and mobile phone ownership are seen as human rights, not as luxuries to be earned through work. These youths are able to riot during the evening because they do not have jobs to go to in the morning, and they do not have the kind of families that would question their actions or whereabouts.
    They are not out of work because of a lack of jobs or cut backs, they are out of work because of a lack of willingness to work for a living, a lack of respect and pride, and because they have had a free ride from the state who despite their actions in the past and during these riots, will continue to pay them benefits despite convictions, and will continue to provide housing despite their lack of respect for the housing and businesses of others.

This will happen again unless as a society we place emphasis on social and individual responsibility and not on rights.

All people in British society have the following rights. What I suggest is that with these very valid and important rights, come some equally valid and important responsibilities…

1. The right to life.
    (The responsibility for yours and for others).

2. freedom from torture and degrading treatment.

3. freedom from slavery and forced labour

4. the right to liberty

5. the right to a fair trial
    6. the right not to be punished for something that wasn’t a crime when you did it
    (The responsibility to live your life without committing acts that will effect others adversely without good and just cause)

7. the right to respect for private and family life
    (The responsibility to respect others rights to a private and family life).
    8. freedom of thought, conscience and religion, and freedom to express your beliefs
    (the responsibility to express in ways that do not adversely effect others who do not share your opinion or beliefs, they also have rights)

9. freedom of expression
    (As above)

10. freedom of assembly and association
    (The responsibility to do it lawfully and without violence).

11. the right to marry and to start a family
    (The responsibility to be able to provide for your family and to instil moral values, discipline and education)

12. the right not to be discriminated against in respect of these rights and freedoms
    (the responsibility not to discriminate against others)

13. the right to peaceful enjoyment of your property
    (the responsibility to enjoy property gained only through legal means. If you do not own it then it is not yet yours. If you can live without it then it is not an automatic right that you should own it.)

14 the right to an education
    (the responsibility to make the most of the education that has been paid for by the tax payers of this society. The responsibility not to disrupt another persons education).

15 the right to participate in free elections
    (the responsibility to participate. Your right to protest begins with the democratic process. if you are not a voting member of society then you have excluded yourself and should not expect the right to take action against the governing party when you did not vote for any of the other parties).

16. the right not to be subjected to the death penalty
    (The responsibility to respect the life of others and not to take actions that could needlessly endanger the lives of others).

These are some of my suggestions in relation to the human rights act. Don’t get me wrong, these are important values, but living in a civilised and just society is not all about what is your right, what is owed to you and what you can possibly screw out of the system.

In my opinion, each of the mindless yobs that are convicted of being involved should serve time in prison. I mean proper time in a proper prison. (NO PLAYSTATION, NO TV, NO BROADBAND AND PHONES).

48. Waylon
    August 10, 2011 at 23:48 — Reply

I cant believe the rioters are just being given 10 and 16 week sentences. As for the kids under 18 most of them are getting away Scot free. I think the riots may well continue now they know how leniant the courts are being. Its little wonder vigilante groups are forming. First of all they want to protect their property but secondly they want the scum to suffer for their crimes against innocent victims and thats a dangerous situation. I think its best left to the police but the courts need to get tough on these criminals or the people will take the law into their own hands. The Government must give more power to the courts if all they can do is sentence these thugs to a few weeks in prison. I must admit I thought they would get a minimum of 3 years. Ten and sixteen weeks is an insult to people who have lost their homes and businesses and far worse for those in Birmingham who have lost family. Cameron and May have got to do more than just say “this is unaccepptable”. New laws and greater punishments have got to be brought in now. How about fines for parents who allow young children to be out on the streets after 9 o clock in the evening.