The Adventures of Tintin (Hergé, 2011)

Just ahead of the Steven Spielberg directed feature film release of The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn; Hergé has re-released a completely re-mastered entire collection of the eponymous reporter adventures. But how does this collection fair? And does it wet our appetite for Tintin and Snowy’s big screen outing?

The Good

Well for starters there are hours of entertainment to be had with this collection; the five disc set featuring 840 minutes of the timeless tales of the intrepid hero, providing an excellent preparation for anyone eagerly anticipating Spielberg’s take this Christmas. The collection even includes a version of The Secret of The Unicorn, which some viewers may wish to watch in anticipation of the cinematic version. Even if that story’s not for you then I’m sure the anthology features something for all audiences; Tintin’s globetrotting featuring a whole array of dangers, ranging from mafia crime syndicates to deadly red sea sharks.

The Bad

There are some drawbacks to this seemingly definitive collection of Tintin’s tales, for the most part in the simplicity of the collection – The Adventures of Tintin lacks any DVD extras. A documentary here or another featurette wouldn’t have gone a miss; certainly a feature on the origins of such classic characters as Captain Haddock and Professor Calculus would have made a pleasant addition to the compilation.

However, despite the collection’s minimalist consistency, you could easily find yourself happily lost for a few hours in this box set, and if you’re a fan of this Belgian action hero (trust me this is much better then any Van Damme film) then this is the collection for you.

Episode Rating:

Extras Rating:

N/A

The Frog’s B*ll*cks

London Film Festival Blog - Day 6