If you dare to brave the world outside the campus bubble, and escape from the somewhat generic student clubs, you might just be introduced to Nottingham’s vibrant and thriving music culture, which has a wealth of amazing venues. This autumn term, a host of exciting talent will be arriving on our doorsteps (or just outside) and here is what we at Impact Music suggest that you check out.

October 1, The Bodega Social Club

Marcus Foster: Few singer-songwriters can claim to showcase the emotion and raw talent of Marcus Foster. His songs grow from humble beginnings into explosive pieces of powerful music. He will be playing what is sure to be a very special show at Bodega’s Club.

October 6, Rock City

Noah and the Whale: ‘Quintessentially English’ is perhaps the best phrase to describe Noah and the Whale, and their quaint and melodic sound is certainly a good emblem for the nation. They will be bringing their unique and eclectic sound to Rock City.

October 9th, Stealth

Nero: Nero are the frontrunners of dub-step at the moment and are conquering everything within sight, whether that be underground clubs or symphonic orchestras. They will be playing as part of Detonate’s regular slot at the internationally recognised Stealth club, and are sure to be supported by a range of quality DJs.

October 10, Rock City

Ed Sheeran: Ed Sheeran is inescapable at present, but the truth is his talent substantiates all associated hype. His live show is also not to be missed, and is bursting with crowd sing-alongs wrapped in sentimental emotion. He will be performing at Rock City.

October 11, Capital FM Arena

Two of the greatest living songwriters, Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler, will join together during their Europe tour. Since this collaboration is taking place in the UK for the first time, these tickets are going to be worth every penny!

October 17, Rock City

Bombay Bicycle Club: Having already written the hit of the Summer with ‘Shuffle’, Bombay Bicycle’s Club’s meteoric career is shooting off towards stardom, and on that ascending trail they will be playing at Rock City.

October 23, Great Hall in Trent Building

University Philharmonia: The University Philharmonia orchestra opens the new academic year with a programme of richly colourful and varied orchestral works by Stravinsky, Prokofiev and a premier by the talented postgraduate student, Alexander Kolassa.

November 1, Music Department (Djanogly recital hall)

Viva-Voce: As part of the Mussoc/Blowsoc free lunch time concert series, Viva-Voce (Nottingham University Chamber Choir) will be performing a range of acapella music in their first concert of the year, from classical to contemporary. The free lunch time concerts take place weekly on Tuesdays and Fridays at 1.15pm, with varying performances from many of the music ensembles.

November 2, The Bodega Social Club

Ugly Duckling: Ugly Duckling will be bringing their infusion of smooth and sleek hip-hop to Bodega. Hailing from California’s underground scene, they are one of the most underrated hip-hop groups to come out of the mid-90s.

November 14, Rescue Rooms

Yuck: After their successful tour in America and cancelling on us back in June (forgivably for a gig on Jools Holland), we are more excited than ever to see Yuck return to Nottingham to play their captivating Lo-fi set.

November 26, Lakeside Arts Centre

Alex Patterson: OpSoc presents the debut opera from Alex Patterson, a University of Nottingham alumnus and one of Nottingham’s major creative talents. Presented in Lakeside’s Aqua, the ‘pub opera’ will be an interactive performance featuring a selection of student opera singers and instrumentalists.

November 30, Rock City

Skrillex: Skrillex is flying the flag very high for American dub-step at present and with his assortment of dirty beats, many are tipping him as the next big thing in the industry. If you don’t believe us, go and see him for yourself…

Restaurant Roulette: The Perils of Dining Out

Impact introduces you to your Athletic Union

1. October 3, 2011 at 22:33 — Reply

Don’t forget The Maze on Mansfield Road – it’s one of Nottingham’s best and most eclectic independent music venues.

2. dan
    October 5, 2011 at 17:49 — Reply

I second Tom’s comment. Some great Balkan randomness and local punk, rock, acoustic stuff there. Plus its a ‘real’ pub.