From Monday the 10th October onwards, Impact will be bringing you day-to-day coverage of the 55th London Film Festival. This will include a daily blog featuring reviews of all the films seen during the preceding day and any tidbits of information that seem interesting or relevant. For those not familiar with the announced programming for the upcoming festival, here are a few of our most anticipated highlights:

Shame – From director Steve McQueen(Hunger), Shame stars one of the year’s most exciting talents, Michael Fassbender, who plays a sex addict. It also stars Carey Mulligan, recently of Drive. Having debuted to enormous critical praise at Venice, Impact is particularly looking forward to this one.

The Descendants –  Part one of Clooney-ville, The Descendants comes from director Alexander Payne, whose last film Sideways is a favourite amongst the Impact staff — for that reason alone this is high up on our list.

The Ides of March – Part two of Clooney-ville, this time Hollywood’s leading man also holds the directorial reigns. Starring the ultra-current Ryan Gosling, this slick political thriller has already gathered a few very decent write-ups — Impact will let you know what we reckon after our screening.

Into the AbyssSomething a little different, the new film from director Werner Herzog is a documentary focusing on death-row inmates. Two words — ‘Werner’ and ‘Herzog’. That is all.

The Artist – Having debuted to huge applause at Cannes, The Artist is a standout at this year’s festival. An entirely black and white and silent moviethis promises to be something well off the beaten track. Oscar talk has already begun; Impact will let you know if it’s likely to continue.

The above examples, plus many, many more, will make up the bulk of Impact’s 2011 London Film Festival coverage. Which films appearing at this year’s festival are you particularly looking forward to? Let us know in the comment section below. In the meantime, keep an eye out for our daily blogs (which start on Monday) and we’ll see you in a couple of week’s time for Nottingham’s own film fest, Mayhem Festival, which begins on the 27th of October.

Tom Grater

These Men (Le Marais)

Review - Tyrannosaur