Mind, one of the UK’s leading mental health charities, has long been recognising the media’s contribution towards raising awareness for mental distress and mental health issues.  Previous winners of Mind Media Awards include cricketer Marcus Trescothick, soaps such as Eastenders, and documentaries from a variety of television channels.

For the past four years, UK charity Mind has given an award for Student Journalist of the Year, for an individual working within student media who has brought greater awareness of mental health issues into a student publication.  In this year’s awards, former Editor-in-Chief Dave Jackson has been shortlisted for the prize, for his article The Hidden Clique, which looks into the issues suffered by many students struggling to get used to living away from home for the first time.

On receiving the nomination, Dave said, “I’m obviously delighted to be shortlisted for this prestigious award.  I wrote the article to try and reach students who had suffered as I did [during the first few months at University] and was genuinely humbled by the number of students who approached me and said how much it resonated with them.  Impact is an incredible outlet for people to share these experiences with others and hopefully reassure struggling students that they ‘can’ find their feet and enjoy their time at University”.

It is not the first time that Impact has been shortlisted for this award; in 2009, Impact journalist Nicola Byrom won the award outright with her article Do We Talk Enough about Mental Health? In presenting her with the award, judges praised the article for its “outstanding contribution to mental awareness”.

The awards will take place on the 28th November 2011, with Impact up against two film entries, both by University of Lincoln students, for the award.

Ben McCabe

And in other news… DIY atom-splitting

DVD Review - Chalet Girl