It’s been a terrible start to the season for Nottingham Forest, underlined by a disgraceful performance against a lacklustre Birmingham City on the banks of the River Trent this evening.

Forest performed well for over an hour in the game, taking a commanding one goal lead through Ishmael Miller. However, it wasn’t built to last and Forest crumbled shortly after McClaren brought on Jonathon Greening. Chris Burke scored the equaliser from outside the penalty area and Chris Wood added the winner a few minutes later with a close range effort.

McClaren showed an utter lack of ideas when he swapped Clint Hill for defender Chris Gunter shortly after Forest had gone behind. Chris Wood was then allowed to stroll through the Forest defence to add a third and secure the win for the visitors. The reaction was not akin to that of Wolfsburg fans in the latter stages of Mclaren’s reign there, though his expression was the look of a dead man walking.

This was a expression that became reality. After the game, it emerged that McCLaren had decided to leave the club after a 5-1 defeat to Burnley on Tuesday and had hoped to go out on a high. His resignation was accompanied by the resignation of Chairman and Owner Nigel Doughty, who has been at the helm for over a decade.

Speculation surrounds the club as to who the next manager will be. Many of the fans would like to see the return of Billy Davies but would be happy to see Martin O’Neil or Stuart Pearce try their hand at the City Ground. “Sack the board” came the calls from the Main Stand as a multitude of red shirts swarmed towards the exits. Forest look a long way from the Premier League now and the club is in a dark place for now. What now, a relegation fight or a recovery and possible surge towards the playoffs? Uncertainty for what the season now holds looms large.

Oliver Barnes

DVD Review - Chalet Girl

True Crime on Campus

1. October 4, 2011 at 23:05 — Reply

Keep them coming matey 🙂