Once again ASOS hits the fashion headlines as Nick Robertson, the director of the online fashion retailer, received the Officer of the British Empire at Buckingham Palace this week. The Telegraph named Robertson as ‘one of the greatest entrepreneurs of the Twentieth century’, showing how his simple idea of selling high street fashion in the style of outfits celebrities have worn has been turned into a hugely successful business venture.

Robertson set up ASOS in 2000, when it was originally named AsSeenOnScreen. The fashion e-shop has not only survived high criticism and the recession, but instead taken it in and thrived on it. ASOS has gone on to open up to the international market, stock countless high street and designer brands, and open up ASOS Marketplace, the fashion friendly clothing equivalent of Ebay.

Perhaps one of the many reasons why ASOS is so successful is simply that the website is pretty, easy to use, and affordable (even the delivery and returns are free, not many online clothing shops can boast that). Over the years ASOS has become so much more than just a fashion retailer, with its market place, beauty shop, online blog, social networking and many competitions it hosts lots of similar features to an online magazine, giving customers fashionable entertainment as well as a shopping experience.

Many fashionistas argue that you can’t replace trying an item on in a shop, but with delivery and returns made so easy there’s just a bit of a waiting time on deciding whether to keep the item or not, but having the item of clothing photographed on models, with an added video of the item being worn down a catwalk, makes deciding whether you’ll like the item even more accessible from the comfort of your own home. For me though, Nick Robertson truly deserved his OBE just for providing us girls with such a vast array of choice, no other fashion website simply offers this feature to the fashion loving public.

Hannah Donald

Album Review: You Me At Six – 'Sinners Never Sleep'

Review - Arthur Christmas