“We are extremely concerned about the future of Syria and the way the leadership is moving”
– King Abdullah of Jordan calling on President Bashar al-Assad to step down amid further government violence on protesters in Syria, in a BBC interview

“Thinking about how we strengthen the best, not the worst, the potential of journalism rather than its misuse, seems an opportunity of the Leveson inquiry”
– Alan Rusbridger, Editor of The Guardian, in a Comment is Free article on the Levenson enquiry which seeks to ask how much the press should be independently regulated in wake of the phone hacking scandal

“I am extremely concerned at the riots and violent clashes witnessed in Egypt, notably in Tahrir square over the weekend…I urge calm and restraint and condemn the use of violence in the strongest terms. There is no doubt that the transitional process is a difficult and challenging one”
– Catherine Ashton, the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice-President of the Commission, in an official statement from the European Union on the weekend’s violence in Egypt, the official statement of which can be accessed here

“The government recognises that it was formed to resolve a serious emergency…Given the sacrifices required of citizens, action to contain the cost of elective bodies is unavoidable”
– Italy’s new technocrat Prime Minister, economist Mario Monti, on his plans for reform within the country in order to curb its debts and rescue it from a potential bail-out situation as reported by Reuters here.

“The question is how much effect…There is courage- very strong courage. But how much effect? Courage alone is no substitute. You must utilise your wisdom”
– The Dalai Lama on the wave of young Buddhist self-immolations sweeping Tibet and China in protest at the government repression in Tibet as reported in which you can read more about here.

Unquote of the Week

“There is no racism, there is maybe one of the players towards another, he has a word or a gesture which is not the correct one, but also the one who is affected by that. He should say that this is a game. At the end of the game, we shake hands”
– Sepp Blatter, President of FIFA, as reported by The Guardian, on his view that racism within football isn’t a serious issue and can be solved with a handshake. Commentators are calling for his resign, branding him as out of touch and inappropriate, especially after scandals of corruption and controversial comments about homosexuals and women within football

Sian Boyle, Impact Blogger

'The Hothouse' @ The New Theatre

The Eastpak Antidote Tour @ Rock City 17/11/11