The latest instalment in Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight saga, Breaking Dawn Part 1 sees our protagonist Bella marry her vampire soul mate Edward Cullen. The couple soon run into difficulties after their first consummated married night together, when Bella quickly falls pregnant. The creature/baby inside her grows at an accelerated rate draining Bella to the point where it is uncertain if she will survive the pregnancy. This film is the first part of the last of the Twilight films and it is difficult to say as to whether this has quite hit the mark in comparison to the series so far.

When watching the Twilight movies it is important to take them with a pinch of salt. Upon purchasing the Cinema ticket I doubt anyone is expecting to see the film as a Golden Globe nominee in the coming year. However, after having seen all of the previous films I left the cinema feeling slightly disappointed and confused.

Bella and Edward’s wedding translates beautifully on film and does not leave the fans disappointed. Kristen Stewart gives a convincing performance as pre-marital nerves kick in walking down the aisle, possibly her best performance in the series so far.

The highly documented bedroom scene is shot delicately and only let down by the embarrassing dialogue. A personal favourite was Edward’s description of the encounter as “The best night of my existence”. At this point the audience in the cinema were laughing uncontrollably. This continued throughout the film and was a major drawback.

However, after the honeymoon the film quickly becomes incredibly fragmented and confusing. Credit must be given to Lola visual effects for the incredible transformation that Kristen Stewart goes through to show her frail and emaciated state. The scene where she gives birth to her daughter Renesmee resembles a scene from Saw 3 and is quite shocking compared to the nature of the previous films so far.

Director Bill Condon includes many of the songs used from Twilight New Moon and Eclipse as subtle reminders for the dedicated fans of the series. Once again, this is appealing to many Twi-hards but these films do not welcome new fans as Breaking Dawn heavily relies upon existing knowledge of the characters and plot so far. Overall, Condon ultimately delivers a disjointed film that hopefully the final part will resolve. Fans of this series may feel a little short changed but I hope the final instalment will finish in the same vain as Catherine Hardwicke’s 2008 interpretation.

Charlotte Hoare

Please like our Facebook page to keep up to date with all the latest reviews!

Klaus Weber @ Nottingham Contemporary

'The Hothouse' @ The New Theatre

1. Shannon Saunders

i think that twilight was very very good, as we see how Edward and Bella’s relationship spirals after the wedding as Bella finds herself in pain as she is pregnant with Edward’s child. I cannot wait for part 2 to be realeased into the cinema’s as i will be first in the que to see the film.

2. Stacey

Twilight is not really my type of show…. So I don’t really understand why everybody is breaking their backs to watch this damn movie! Like the only reason why I am going to watch this movie is because my mom is making me, but whatever people have their own style and flavor for movies and what not. So if you like this movie or show or whatever than good for you I guess, but if you don’t really care for it than your one smart ass muthafucka!!

3. Georgia Boyle

I think twilight was fantastic, so cute and moving I cried 4 times throught. I thought it was very sweet and showed emotions very well, it didn’t drag only when bella was dead, that went on for a while to the point I thought this is now impossible. but I loved it to bits and bring on part 2!!

4. November 21, 2011 at 19:21 — Reply

I actually disagree with this review- except for the dialogue comments (there was laughing in my cinema too when he said ‘the best night of my excistance) how I disagree that this film was less good than the others- except for the first one I think this is the best twilight film there has been. the birthing scene had to be like somelike from saw 3 to quote you- because seriously how can a vampire baby eating its way out of your uterus not be disgusting? I think the director did a good job with my expectations very low I was surprised to find this film a decent standard

5. Alexa

Pretty accurate review, the birthing scene was waaaay too graphic for a certificate 12 film… and yep, there were some pretty laugh out loud moments (that obviously weren’t intended that way…) So bad, but so great at the same time!

6. Shay Shay

The movie was really good but very disappointing at the end. However, for people who have not seen the previous movies would be very confusing. But i thought the movie was amazing. I thought the pre wedding jitters was awesome and felt like i was on the edge of my seat telling her to keep going don’t stop. Through out the entire series i was rooting for jacob to get bella but in the last movie is really got to see the bond between bella and edward and found myself rooting for him to get bella. Especially at the end where she was dead on the table i couldn’t stop crying. Although there are some parts i was disappointed about too. For example how sexual it got between bella and edward and for how long the movie kept showing it. Also the part where they show her lying on her back dead with her legs apart on the table with a sheet on her still with the blood where she was riped open really grossed me out. But i still loved the movie and got so many ideas running through my head of what the next one is going to be like!