On Sunday the 65th annual BAFTA Film Awards were held at the Royal Opera House in London. Here, Impact gives you the lowdown on the night’s highs and lows…

Undoubtedly the big success story of the evening was The Artist, which went home with a very healthy seven Baftas, the same amount scooped at last year’s ceremony by The King’s Speech.

Jack says, “I’m not terribly surprised by The Artist scooping up 7, slightly lost over it winning Best Original Screenplay even if the award isn’t focused solely on the dialogue.”

Ibtisam suggests, “While the main focus of the Baftas has been on The Artist – and deservedly so – it was nice to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy get recognition for its screenplay.”

Alex agrees, “Overall, it was hardly surprising to see The Artist clear up as it did, but it was heartening to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy get a look in, winning for Best British Film and Best Adapted Screenplay.”

While recognition from BAFTA will not have done Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’s Academy Award chances any harm, it is worth noting that Gary Oldman missed out, which surely dampens his hopes of a Best Actor Oscar.

Another of the night’s major success stories was Senna, Asif Kapadia’s documentary about the late Ayrton Senna. Scooping Best Documentary Feature as well as Best Editing, those two Baftas may go some way to make up for its complete snub from the Academy.

David says, “I was pleased Senna won, in a rebuff to the Oscar nominators who left it out.” And Jack reiterates that sentiment, “I’m definitely glad to see wins for Senna and Tyrannosaur, both highly deserved their awards.”

Winning Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer was due recognition for Paddy Considine’s directorial debut Tyrannosaur. Though, as Jack says, “I’m still disheartened by the lack of a nomination for Olivia Colman.”

Finally, we have some contrasting opinions on the Best Animated Feature category.

Alex reckons that, “it was good to see Rango, a surreal, funny and clever film, triumph in the Best Animated Film category.”

David, on the other hand, “I was most shocked by The Adventures of Tintin being beaten by Rango, which, while not bad, certainly was not as good as the boy adventurer.”

The Oscars are a week on Sunday!

Tom Grater

'Thirsty' @ The Djanogly Theatre, Lakeside Arts Centre

Review - Bombay Beach