Nottingham City Council has voted in favour of the ‘Article Four direction’, despite heavy opposition from the University of Nottingham Students’ Union. The article requires landlords to seek planning permission if they wish to convert any house into a House of Multiple Occupation (HMOs), which covers student housing in areas such as Lenton and Dunkirk.

The Students’ Union was against the proposal because they fear that it will move students out of houses and into purpose-built accommodation. They argue that this accommodation would likely be further away and more expensive.

However, on the 22nd November, the Council agreed to the proposal, which comes into effect on the 1st March 2012. Julia Seal, Accommodation and Community Officer for the Student Union, is unhappy with how some of the Council members handled the opposition, stating, “It is not surprising that the Executive Board have voted in this way but it is certainly disappointing”. She and other members of the SU Exec will continue to work with the Council to ensure that they are not implementing student quotas across the City.

Upon reaching the verdict, Councillor Jane Urquhart, Nottingham City Council’s portfolio holder for Planning and Transportation stated, “We have considered all the objections raised. We are very proud of Nottingham’s status as a top University city, and I hope students are clear that this decision does not affect existing HMOs and will not suddenly reduce the housing stock available for them as it will only apply to new proposals.”

Suzi Collins

An Aid Worker “Living Through History”

The Rise and Rise of Metal

1. Stefan
    February 12, 2012 at 22:19 — Reply

Just another council jurisdiction placed upon students to act as a money making scheme. Shame.