Sunday 19th, 15:00 and the Old Billingsgate Market is teeming with the likes of Alexa Chung, Anna Wintour and Poppy Delevigne. Successfully combining utility chic with pajama dressing, an army of Topshop models were kitted in classic staples that had a modern edge. 

Yesterday,  saw a new direction for the label who, in the past, grabbed the attention of the London Fashion Week crowd with their directional, urban inspired approach. All eyes have been on Topshop after the much anticipated recent collaboration with Mary Katrantzou, and it seems their twenty second season did not fail to deliver.  Now with former British Vogue fashion director, Kate Phelan at the helm, it is no surprise that the label has created its most fabulous collection yet.  More wearable, sophisticated pieces that will endure season after season; far from gimmicky collections of the past. ‘We see it as a capsule collection of key pieces that would complement any girl’s wardrobe’, Phelan stated backstage.

Military inspiration permeated the entire show. The beauty team followed suit with minimalist, barley there make-up, a nude lip and a splash of black eyeliner. Centre partings and a messy down affair were accompanied by strong accessories. Large bags casually held under the models arms, leather belts and baseball-esk caps were marched down the catwalk, whilst girl-of-the-moment, Azealia Banks blared from the speakers. The halfway up the knee and chunky ankle boots were to die for and added toughness when teamed with the metallic dresses.

Unique’s collection drew focus upon the ultra-wearable and casual.  An earthy colour pallet of khaki, navy and a splash of burgundy were added together with the textures of wool and leather which played with a mix of masculine and feminine.  Dungarees were reinvented in velvet, whilst slouchy leather pants effortlessly billowed down the runway. The must-have piece of the collection was the heavy oversized coat, updated with zips and leather to create a utilitarian feel with yet undeniable sophistication. Unique dared to bear with teeny tiny crop tops and backless shirts, giving the collection a sense of femininity and shape. Metallic dresses, slashed hems and feminine separates mixed elegance with a dash of sex appeal.  An understated cross motif could be spotted throughout, resembling the collections move away from the bold patterns of its past collections.

‘It was important the girls were relaxed and that Unique has a life after the catwalk. It was a capsule collection for every girl’ said Design Manager, Emma Farrow. With that in mind, this is an undeniably successful collection, teaming with modern staples that have given the high-street favourite an injection of sophistication whilst remaining accessible. Topshop’s classic pieces worn with an air of nonchalance have certainly wetted my appetite for the new season!

Hannah Wilkinson

LFW: Stella McCartney

"How Many Camels for your Lady?"

1. Alex Wilson
    February 21, 2012 at 20:10 — Reply

This girl is going places – London, Milan, New York just to name a few.. oi oi!