Sure, it was never going to be the most inspiring collection New York Fashion week had to offer, but I couldn’t resist checking out what everyone’s favourite California gal – turned-New Yorker- turned-back to California gal had to display at her first Mercedes Benz Fashion week. Whitney Eve’s fall 2012 collection was reportedly inspired by an antique kaleidoscope that she found at her grandmother’s house. The collection was packed with geometric beading, and bright colours meshed with darks.

Reality T.V. star Whitney Port debuted 26 individual styles, and explicitly embraced the revival of the grunge look that is set to take over ready to wear collections on the High Streets. Separates were a common theme throughout the show, and the inclusion of oversized cardigans, and bold, loose fitting trousers gave the collection a definite 90s feel. The dresses that were sent down the runway were heavy on the floral, and ruffles were aplenty. Hems were cut unevenly and the dishevelled look is clearly the way to go if Whitney Eve’s designs are anything to go by.

Thus far, the Whitney Eve collection has received little critique. Some reporters have claimed the collection was a little miss–matched, and that the fabrics used were slightly garish. However, I’m a fan. The Whitney Eve house prides itself on being wearable, without being too twee. A style icon in her own right, Port herself is often quoted explaining how she designs clothes that she would want to wear. Indeed, the collection is incredibly wearable, without being too timid.

Port explains how the collection allowed her to show people that, “I’m really in this to create a great fashion line. There’s this thought that people on TV just put their names on lines and it’s not something they’re passionate about.” For a first timer, that spent what seems like seventeen years hanging around with All-American-Girl Lauren Conrad, to send such an inelegant collection down the runway, Port clearly has got some balls. (Maybe she’s got something to thank Ms Palermo for after all).

Jessica Newsome

'The King's Speech' @ Nottingham Theatre Royal

'The Off-White Horse' @ New Theatre