Listen: Sian Green on winning Accommodation and Community

Sian Green has won the position of Accommodation and Community Officer. She ran uncontested, after the competition withdrew. Sian won 3510 votes out of the total 3956 votes cast for this position. Julia Seal, the current Accommodation and Community Officer has “no doubt that she [Sian] will do an excellent job”, and gave Sian the advice to “appreciate the highs and lows, and have a great time.’ Sian, in her acceptance speech said that “no-one has ever been so keen, so thank you for voting Green.’ She also said that she’s ‘so happy, and so pleased that the past weeks have paid off.”

Since holding the position of JCR president last year, second year Philosophy student Green feels she has gained insight into where there is room for change in the SU and says she is the candidate to implement it. Green has a wide range of experience including being on the Elections committee last year, current Ladies Cricket Vice Captain and recently being elected an NUS Delegate.

She hopes to push for an expiry date on university cards, as without one it can be difficult for students to get discounts they may be entitled to. Another one of Green’s key policies is the idea of a “housing week” for students as she believes the current accommodation fayre is not long enough. During the week, there would be more chances to get advice about rent and location, to speak to landlords, the accommodation and community officer and UNIPOL. She states that “how and where you live is a big part of your university experience”. In addition, Green hopes to “put pressure on the council to get rid of the parking permits” and “strive for NUS support” in this area.

Green describes herself as “friendly, approachable and enjoys a challenge” and feels that she could be a “positive catalyst for change”.

Postgraduate Officer Result

Environment and Social Justice Officer Result