Listen:  Johnny Bell on becoming AU Officer

Johnny Bell is the new Athletic Union Officer for 2012-13. Gaining 2572 votes, he defeated opponent Hew Williams, who received 1387 votes. The total number of votes cast for this position was 4182. Current AU Officer Sarah Williams, who claimed that “whoever gets this will have such a great time”, said that “Johnny seems like a great guy, and I have every faith in him.” Bell, in his acceptance speech, thanked Hew, saying that he’d been “an amazing opponent, and we’ve become good friends over the past few weeks.” When talking to Impact, Johnny said that it feels “absolutely amazing”, and that he “pushed himself to the limit and will go to bed happy tonight”.

Johnny Bell’s Profile

The role as Athletics Union officer is something Johnny’s always wanted and it would help him pursue his dream career as a sports manager. He believes his policies take into account the whole university, and he wants to get everyone involved in University sport — particularly any “unchecked talent” — as well as postgraduates, international students, and students from the satellite campuses.

Bell plans to achieve this by working closely with the NU2 Sport Campaign saying, “it’s like a ‘sport for all campaign’”. He also wants to work with the Week One and Karni Reps (both positions he’s had first hand experience in) to get more Freshers involved. Bell stresses that his campaign would be aimed at everyone,  “whether they’re just apprehensive about getting involved in a sport club, or they’re just lazy”.

“If people fancy doing something extra-curricular but they’ve just had no prior incentive, then I want to be the person who gets them out of bed and get them knocking about on the football pitch.” Other points on Bell’s manifesto include the pledge of a fixed date for kit orders, and the extension of Varsity to other sports, including tennis and squash, but he wishes to “target all clubs. Large or small.”

Finance and Services Officer Result

Activities Officer Results

1. Concerned AU Member

I’ve heard from various Archaeology students that Johnny Bell’s (an Archaeology student) campaign was fully backed and promoted by the ArchSoc committee to a level that apparently breaks the rules of SU Elections.

Is it not true that a given society/SRS/student group etc is not allowed to wholly promote one candidate over another? During the last couple of weeks, as a member of various society’s facebook groups, I’ve occasionally seen candidates post their manifestos and videos etc asking for support which are then followed by comments by other, astute members telling them they are not allowed to make certain kinds of comments/posts that seemingly imply that the given society should only vote for them.

ArchSoc committee members went into lectures telling people to vote for Bell as well as constantly posting on their various facebook groups and sending out emails in such a blundering and bullish way that it came across as grossly undemocratic.

Could someone more informed than I please say whether this is perfectly fine or is in fact something that the elections committee should look into?

2. @ Concerned AU Member

He is a BNOC. The rules don’t apply to him!

3. SU Observer

It’s Athletic Union, not AthleticS Union :o)

4. SU Councillor

If your concerned, Select Committee is the avenue. You’d need either Huw or a member of Union Council to submit it by the end of Wedndesday

5. AU Member

i hear hew was backed by several clubs and societies including biochemistry and rowing. of which posting in closed groups took place- something that is seemingly undemocratic.

6. Hew

@AU Member, I can safely say I was not backed by any club or society and ensured that I observed every rule of running. I had no members of either the boat club committee or the BiochemSoc committee on my campaign team so to suggest undemocratic behaviour on my part is rather stupid. I at no point posted onto closed groups and was the candidate who took the issue to elections committee for official guidelines on facebook groups. @Concerned AU Member if you have evidence of breaches of campaign rules please do contact me, however as far as I am aware Jonny did abide by election rules and I wish him all the best in his role of AU officer next year, I lost to an extremely strong candidate.

7. AU Club President

I think they both ran excellent campaigns! They would have both benefited the AU and university in very different ways! I think praise needs to go to both for strong campaigning, solid policies and dedication to the AU.

8. March 18, 2012 at 19:46 — Reply

@SU Councillor Select Committee can also be brought about by 50 persons entitled to vote (e.g. 50 students)

9. @ Concerned AU Member

All that happened a whole week ago. I do not understand why these archaeology students are aparently all obsessed with digging up the past.