Valves denies working on ‘Steam Box’
Valve Marketing Director Doug Lombardi has denied that Valve is working on a ‘steam box’ console to compete with Nintendo, Playstation and Sony. In an interview with Kotaku, Lombardi responded to rumours, saying “it’s a long way from Valve shipping any sort of hardware”. The steam box ‘prototype’ referenced by tech site The Verge was in fact a box designed for testing the Steam Big Picture Mode UI that “will make the online gaming service easily useable for people who want to play Steam games on a PC that’s connected to their TV’”.

Mass Effect fan’s backlash against game
Mass Effect players, angered by the game’s controversial ending and the presence of day one DLC, have voiced their criticisms by petitioning game creators Bioware to provide an alternative ending. The ‘Take Back Mass Effect 3’ campaign has raised a fair amount of support; recruiting 25,000 likes on Facebook, 3,000 Twitter followers and 40,000 backers in a Bioware forum poll as well as raising a massive $52,907.61 for gaming charity Child’s Play. Campaign supporters have responded to criticisms, arguing, “We would like to dispel the perception that we are angry or entitled. We simply wish to express our hope that there could be a different direction for a series we have all grown to love”. You can find the full petition at http://retakemasseffect.chipin.com/retake-mass-effect-childs-play

Comet owner’s make bid to buy out GAME
High street video game store GAME has found itself in financial disarray and close to administration as EA refused to supply the company with copies of Mass Effect 3 and Nintendo followed suit by refusing to stock their shelves with upcoming 3DS title Kid Icarus. However, their troubles could be at an end with an offer from Comet owner OpCapita to buy out the GAME Group’s lenders and to completely repay of all of the chain’s suppliers. Rumours are circulating that Walmart is also looking to aquire the company but, as of yet, GAME have not confirmed whether they have accepted any offers.

Gamer’s Guide looking for more contributors
If you’re interested in any aspect of video game journalism, whether that be writing reviews, news stories or features, be sure to email me at [email protected] We here at Gamer’s Guide are always looking for more contributors and no prior experience is necessary; so even if you haven’t done anything like this before, you can get involved.

Tom Mackay 

Review - The Lady

Review - The Raven