Uni’s mens team were unfortunate to leave Varisity Hockey empty handed in a thoroughly entertaining game of hockey. All the goals came in the second half as the game finished 2-2, the game ultimately being decided on flicks which Trent won 4-3. Impacts Ollie Taylor and Matt Williams deliver the report.

A tough game for Uni saw Trent really step up their game from last weeks match, which had ultimately relegated them. The first half produced tactical intrigue, but remained a stalemate at halftime, finishing 0-0, with both teams relatively cautious in the opening preceding.However, it was Uni who drew first blood, making the breakthrough early in the second half through captain Rich Lawrence. The goal came through one of his more unorthodox short corner routines and it was expected that Uni would consolidate and build on this lightning start to the second period. But this was not to be as Trent took impetus and struck back at the double and in quick succession, leaving Uni’s good second half start in tatters and chasing the game. The game continued with high intensity and with Uni’s goal, this stepped up the pressure on both sides. Later on, Trent thought they had equalised but controversially the goal was disallowed.

Soon after, however, Richard ‘Cuddles’ Nourse slotted home a fine goal to level the tie. It was a goal well deserved, considering Uni’s attacking intent. Uni sought the winner, piling the pressure on a defensive Trent side, but with no reward in a thoroughly entertaining second half. Alas, Uni did not gain the victory they deserved in open play and it meant that once again, for the second year running, flicks would decide Varsity Hockey.

The first three flicks from both Uni and Trent were slotted away with perfection, with Jonathan ‘Tuna’ Beckers, Sam Arnold and captain Lawrence all finding the net. Unfortunately, the next Uni flick from Nick ‘Millie’ Baker was read by the Trent keeper and saved, whilst Danny ‘Dobby’ Crowther could do nothing about the fourth Trent flick, meaning Trent won the game on flicks and against the run of play. A highly entertaining game which came down to the tightest of margins, but sadly left Trent with a Varsity win, against the run of play.

Still, there was some good news as the Women’s Hockey team ran out 4-1 winners against Trent, crushing them emphatically with a solid performance all round from the team. Congratulations to them.

Oliver Taylor & Matt Williams

To view our pictures of the hockey matches, please like our Impact Covers Nottingham Varsity 2012 page. 

Book Review: 'Pao' by Kerry Young

Review - 21 Jump Street

1. Stu

I think it’s a bit unfair to sum up the excitement of the Women’s Hockey match with just over 2 lines of text for a 4-1 win, considering last year they had an entire article devoted to their 1-0 victory.