In the inaugural instalment of Men’s Lacrosse, an event added in order to prevent the varsity series from being a draw for the third year running, all was to play for. The match proved to be a great advert for the sport as a high-scoring encounter saw Uni grab a 14-13 victory in the last ten seconds.

Uni started the game slowly and allowed Trent to control the game which saw them finish the first quarter 5-2 down. A well-worked goal that involved James Pilkington setting up Dan Macken suggested that Uni were turning the tide, but Trent responded strongly and scored three unanswered goals. The game seemed like it was slipping away from Uni but a superb double save from Greg Ridgeway and Tom Davies’ goal prevented the margin from becoming insurmountable.

The game continued at a free-scoring pace as Tom Lace created goals for George Allen and Dan Macken, but the team could not stem the tide of Trent goals and were still behind by a goal entering the final quarter. The final quarter was fraught with tension as Trent’s two early goals were reined in by a James Pilkington goal, which led to a Trent time-out. However, Uni sensing Trent’s inability to close out the game, came out of the time-out stronger and proceeded to score three unanswered goals. It was Uni’s turn to call a time-out as the match was level at 13-13 and they looked to compose themselves ahead of the final push. The goal that decided this nail-biting match was fitting of the occasion as man of the match, Dan Macken scored with aplomb to finish off a great attack.

Lolly Marsh

To see our pictures of the Men’s Lacrosse match, please ‘like’ our Varsity Facebook page.

Cosmetic Perfection Isn’t Black and White

Urban Loneliness – Isolated Figures in Cityscapes