It’s 4 am in the morning and the world as you know it seems to slip away into a far and distant space. All the tangible trivialities of your day-to-day life have left you behind; you have taken a stumble down the rabbit hole, and where you are about to come out is very much unknown. This is not a Lewis Carroll play, however; this is the fantastical and very much distorted world of Methoxetamine.

This new ‘legal high’ is on the rise, and the reality is that more and more of Nottingham’s students appear to be currently entering into this world. If you haven’t yet come across this new drug, it is referred to by journalists and the older generation as ‘roflcopter’, but you are much more likely to hear it referred to as ‘MKet’ ? a name which for many of you might ring a few bells with that notorious fad of ‘MKat’, but the effects of this new kid on the block contrast vastly to the soaring highs and never-ending lows of the Mephedrone days.

Essentially, it is a derivative of the popular street drug Ketamine, and produces similar dissociative and numbing effects (for those of you who are unaware of what Ketamine is, it is a white powdered form of horse tranquilizer that is now a big part of the UK drug scene).

The key difference between Ketamine and methoxetamine, apart from the fact Ketamine is currently a class C drug, is that ‘Mket’ is a much more potent version, whose effects last longer and are more pronounced upon its users. Not surprisingly, it is known to induce some strange and bizarre trips, and anecdotes of the effects of this drug make for some interesting reading.

A student at Nottingham (who wishes to remain anonymous) has tried the drug on a few occasions and reported that “time distorts on it, space is abstracted and your brain seems to figure everything out, while at the same time is unbelievably confused. My ability to do things, like move and even speak seems to go, and my body feels overwhelmingly numb”.

The inherent risk with Ketamine and Methoxetamine is that taking too much at a time will inevitably lead to the infamous ‘K’ and ‘MKet’ holes. Another anonymous source recounted a time when he entered one of these notorious ‘MKet holes’ after taking too much:

“I felt as though nothing was real and I was the only person who existed in the world, kind of a Truman Show reality. Then my mind became detached from my body and I couldn’t escape from this sinking feeling. It is very hard to describe how I was feeling in words, but I guess looking back, it kind of felt as though I was dying”.

So the question I assume you are all currently asking is, why on earth anyone would consider doing this to themselves? In fact, the reasons for the rise in Methoxetamine are quite numerous. It can be ordered over the Internet, just as Mephedrone could, and delivered to your door, no questions asked, for around £25 a gram. Despite overwhelming warnings that this chemical is not meant for your nostrils from the sites that you can buy it from, the drug is not illegal, and this must play a big role in its current rise on the scene. Also, any drug which is brought around halls of residence in the likes of Nottingham, Bristol and Leeds will invariably become widespread very fast, owing to their wild ‘everyone is doing it’ culture.

The extreme effects of the drug are rare, and although Leicestershire police have linked the drug to the deaths of a couple, there have been few reported casualties to date. A more common and comical side effect of the drug is for its users to lose control of their bowels. In an interview with NME, Ben Patashnik commented, “The St John’s Ambulance crew at Creamfields first noticed it when they found people standing upright, totally alone and zoned out, with pants full of shit”.

However, more serious health risks are not yet known, because the drug has not been tested, and no one knows what the long-term effects of using it will be. This leads to the bizarre and ironic situation, whereby it may very well be safer to do illegal drugs, such as Ketamine, for which testing has revealed much more about the health risks associated with it, while the potential harm of the legal drug, MKet, is very much an unknown and scary entity.

It is clear to me that given the powerful psychological trips it induces, MKet will never replicate the overwhelming popularity and binge culture which Mephedrone did, and still does to a lesser extent, but the drug still retains an augmenting danger. It is currently not illegal in the UK because its makers have allowed it to come out in the ‘grey market’, which is effectively the government’s blind spot on its drugs policies. By simply changing the molecular structure of ketamine slightly, and not advertising the drug for human consumption, supply of MKet in the UK has been allowed to flourish over the past few months.

It seems evident that MKet is allowed to be bought and sold with such ease, not because it’s not a dangerous drug, but because the Government is too out of touch and slow to prevent it from becoming a widespread problem. Their failure to realise and react to the situation is part of a larger battle the Government is currently having with the drugs industry and ‘legal highs’, and with the example of the rise of Methoxetamine, it is clear that the Government is currently losing the battle.

Jack Gilbert

Women's Varsity Rugby Preview

Is a First Worth It?

1. M
    May 16, 2012 at 00:51

1) It *IS* illegal in the UK.

2) Nobody calls it roflcoptr.

3) There are no shitpants MXE zombies roaming around anywhere.

4) This article is poorly researched, poorly written, and just plain asinine.

• May 16, 2012 at 02:37

1) It is only currently being made illegal, after growing pressure from the media: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17535600 It was definitely legal when the article was written.

2) Roflcoptr is a commonly known slang term; Google it before making such sweeping statements.

3) Again, sweeping statements ahoy. Next you’ll be telling us that “THERE IS NO RAIN IN BRITAIN”.

4) Suit yourself. The aim of this article is to inform our student body; if you’d like to help us do a better job, please do consider contributing, and not just trolling away on our website.

2. David Davidson
    May 17, 2012 at 12:00

This article is bad and you should feel bad.
    To start, Kholes and Mholes are not an unpleasant experience, infact I usually take the quantity needed to hole as I’ve had some rather interesting, almost spiritual expericnes in the hole due to the way it makes you look back on your life and can help show you what needs changing. A Khole is basically a semi-lucid dream.
    There will likely not be any long term serious risks as the molecule is so closely related to ketamine it will probably only do as much damage as that, which is bladder damage over long term chronic use. MXE is more potent than K so it will cause less microcrystals to form in the bladder, therefore causing less damage.

The deaths linked to it involve to drunk morons taking MXE and going swimming in an ice cold lake. I think that we call this survival of the fittest.

I’d really appreciate it if people didn’t fear monger just to get a news story.
    -David D Davidson

3. h
    May 17, 2012 at 15:11

dear david
    the point is that while the moleculor structure is similair to ketamine the long term effects are still unkown, this is a new drug which has had hardly any testing, who knows what the effects of this drug will be in a few years time. secondly ive heard of people crying after doing too much k before and i think your comment is just completely close minded and ignorant. just because you may have enjoyed the experience the vast majority of others will not and will actually hate it and the psychological damage which it will inflict upon them. Indeed, whether or not you enjoy kholing, you must apprecaite that doing so helps to obscure your overall grip on reality and the real world, but hey maybe there is a reason you want to do that.

4. May 17, 2012 at 17:57

what a foot no one calls it roflcopter someone was trolling in a forum and i guess u dumb journalist pick it up before doing any research also this chemical is very therapeutic at ultra low doses and helped me overcome a 5 year opiate addiction, been clean from all substances for over 4 months now

5. May 17, 2012 at 22:53

@FPU4eva “what a foot” – what does that even mean?

As for the whole roflcopter debate – the article clearly states that the media calls it ‘roflcopter’. If you don’t believe our student journalist, here is a link to an NME article http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/61559 which should clarify the point. And yes, I have heard someone over 40 refer to it as roflcopter (albeit in a rather confused manner), so I can comfirm that some of the older generation also sometimes use that term. Just because M and his mates don’t use it doesn’t mean nobody does. that’s like saying nobody supports Manchester United just because you don’t.

6. […] article here. Share this:FacebookTwitterShareRedditDiggStumbleUponPrintEmail Tagged as: drugs, Impact, […]

7. 7z7
    May 18, 2012 at 17:28

1. MXE has been criminalised in the UK.

2. Seriously, nobody calls it roflcoptr. I don’t mean literally nobody, but the only people who use that term are the media. It was the same for ‘meow meow’ – a construct of the media to describe Mephedrone.

3. There may have been one person who may have had shit in his pants while on MXE, but it doesn’t cause people to soil themselves – as implied in the article.

4. This article IS poorly researched and poorly written – the last paragraph sums up how poor it is.

There isn’t really much to say about it, so there is no point in contributing. The sum total of it is: Ketamine was criminalised meaning that supply (especially from India) and quality eventually deteriorated. MXE is (was) legal and has similar effects. People substitute MXE for ketamine. Big wow.

8. dear 7z7
    May 19, 2012 at 13:56

If you haven’t yet come across this new drug, it is referred to by journalists and the older generation as ‘roflcopter’, but you are much more likely to hear it referred to as ‘MKet’ ? if you want to slate this article do you mind actually reading it first. This sentence clearly states that journalists refer to it as roflcopter, this is a minor point but it kind of highlights as how you say the only people who refer to it as this are in the media.