The Women’s Rugby team, awarded Team of the Year by the Athletic Union, put the final glosses on a perfect season by beating Trent 44-20 with an exhibition of running rugby.

The game did not get off to the best start as the much bigger Trent pack took hold of proceedings and were quickly leading 10-5. However, Uni composed themselves and as they managed to get more possession, their level of skill started to show. After some sustained pressure, a great line from outside centre Sadie Burton on the switch cut through Trent’s defences and from second phase fly-half, Izzy Joris shipped the ball wide for Gemma Robinson to score in the corner.

This brilliant move gave Unit the confidence to get the ball through the hands, where the Trent side looked much more vulnerable. Uni finished the half with a 15-10 lead after a period of resolute defending, started by a brilliant covering tackle from Ellie McWilliam which was supported by her team, in particular Katie Williams.

Trent once again came out stronger and their powerful team levelled the game at 15-15, but this was not too late for Uni, as they hit back with two quick tries. A great snipe from McWilliam send Stephanie Weedon over the line and from the resulting kick-off, Emma Lumley scored a superb individual effort while she gathered the kick to storm through Trent’s defences, swatting players as she went. After MacKellar capitalised on a few phases of pressure by skinning her opposite woman, the game looked out of Trent’s reach with the scores standing at 15-32.

As Uni relaxed into the last quarter of the match, they rung a few changes and these fresh legs took the game further away from Trent. Burton and Jorris capped off their performance with fitting tries.

Jake Batty

To see our upcoming pictures of the Rugby matches, please ‘like’ our Varsity Facebook page

Varsity Rugby Union - LIVE

Men Suffer Last Minute Heartbreak

1. Fergie
    May 18, 2012 at 11:33 — Reply

We have already won! Trent are nothing to us. They will be destroyed in football as we have proven time and again in the BUCS league this season. Better luck next year Trent.