Nottingham University Women’s Rugby Club (NUWRFC) have enjoyed a fine season, notching up an impressive 13 wins from 15 games. Claiming the Conference Cup, clinching promotion to the Premiership and winning the prestigious University of Nottingham’s Team of the Year Award along the way. No mean feat for a club that was promoted to the Midlands 1A league less than a year ago.

But the encounter versus Trent is more than just a game of rugby for this group of players and tomorrow will be the last time many represent the Uni. Next year, NUWRFC will be without Katie Williams, Izzy Joris and Sadie Burton – the team’s three most influential players – who will depart having left their own mark on the team. The team will move on and progress, with individuals such as Lucy Ryall, Violet Coppin and Emma Lumley already showing promise and having established themselves in the team.

Having taken on Trent twice already this season, the team is fully aware of what they will bring to the party. But the success of this season, be it promotion, awards or cup wins will mean nothing to this highly motivated squad if it’s the pink side of Meadow Lane celebrating. This is without a doubt the most eagerly awaited women’s rugby match between these two in recent years with Trent’s steady decline coinciding with University’s steady rise. At the end of the game we will see once and for all who the superior women’s team in the city is.

Rory Stone

Review - Dark Shadows

The Rise of Methoxetamine