Good News for…. Objects Lost at Sea 

Many of us have lost footballs after accidentally kicking them over the neighbour’s fence or into a tree, but sixteen-year-old Misaki Murakami’s loss was slightly more dramatic. His home was destroyed in the Japanese tsunami of March 2011, and he had little hope of ever recovering his belongings as most of them were swept out to sea.

However, a year (and 4000 miles) later, one of his possessions was found on a remote island in Alaska. The football was discovered by David and Yumi Baxter, who identified the owner by translating the writing on the ball. It was a gift from Misaki’s classmates when he moved schools in 2005 and was covered in good luck messages, which included his name and mentions of his school. After translating the writing, the Baxters managed to trace the ball back to his school and plan to send it back to Misaki as soon as possible.

Misaki told the Japanese media that he was sure that the ball was his and would be grateful to have such a sentimental object back. 

Bad news for…sandcastle lovers everywhere

A giant 13ft-tall sandcastle built on Weymouth beach in Dorset to mark the countdown to the Olympics has been demolished merely hours after its completion, not by sea waves, but instead by bulldozers because of health and safety fears.

Weymouth and Portland Borough Council have knocked down the fortress that took four days for sand sculptor Mark Anderson to build, because of concerns that it could topple onto innocent beach-goers, leaving the council open to a ‘wave’ of potential claims for damages. Although bemused locals asked why barriers could not simply be put up around the sandcastle, the Council argued that round the clock security would be needed to ensure beachgoers did not fall victim to death-by-sandcastle.

However, despite the Council’s actions, plenty of photos were taken of the masterpiece before its demise, and there is no doubt that it was effective in promoting the location of the Games sailing events. The £5,000 cost of building the fortress is therefore, in advertising terms, not actually a bad price when it comes to promoting Britain for the upcoming London 2012 Olympic Games.

And In Other News…. Busking Cat Becomes Bestseller

An unlikely friendship with a ginger tomcat has led to a book deal and a new way of life for a former homeless north London busker. A Streetcat Named Bob tells the story of the unlikely friendship between tomcat Bob and James Bowen, a homeless, recovering drug addict from Islington, which began five years ago when Bowen took the stray cat to the vets with an injured leg.

Bowen is adamant that Bob helped him to turn his life around as his furry friend loyally accompanied him when he busked in Covent Garden. The love story has now been turned into a bestselling novel, which has sold over 37,000 copies and has been translated into 10 languages. There are even plans to make the tale into a Hollywood blockbuster which will undoubtedly please the pair’s growing fan-base.  At a recent book signing, hundreds queued to meet the pair and adorn Bob with gifts including knitted scarves and cat treats.

Suzi Collins, Emily Metcalf & Jessica Roseblade

Fenech-Soler Review

Plagiarism Rife Amongst Students in Nottingham