As the epoch of Bulmers, sporadic sunshine and gatherings in the park draws closer once more, we at Impact decided to fill in a collection of our favourite summer tunes.

Beach

Ben Howard – ‘Old Pine’: “Hot sand on toes, cold sand in sleeping bags, I’ve come to know that memories were the best things you ever had” – For his lyrics alone, Ben Howard’s ‘Old Pine’ is a perfect beach song.

Bombay Bicycle Club – ‘How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep’: The bastions of English indie these days, Bombay have somehow already produced a back catalogue of beach tunes. This one is a personal favourite and is essential listening on any beach trips this summer.

Driving

Four Tet – ‘Angel Echoes’: Four Tet are going from strength to strength at the moment and their downbeat minimal sound has summer road-trip soundtrack written all over it.

Cyne – ‘Pretty Apollo’: Chilled hip-hop doesn’t get much better than Cyne, and while they haven’t made many waves in the UK as of yet, with tunes like ‘Pretty Apollo’, it won’t be long before they do.

Temper Trap – ‘Sweet Disposition’: The most memorable track from the film 500 Days of Summer, a brilliant summer anthem about the ephemeral nature of youth and love.

Festivals

Radiohead – ‘Karma Police’: Walking through throngs of people shouting “For a minute there I lost myself”, following Radiohead coming off stage at Glastonbury last year, it would be fair to say that ‘Karma Police’ is one of the ultimate festival sing-along anthems.

The Chemical Brothers – ‘Swoon’: Few DJs in the world are comparable to the show which The Chemical Brothers put on annually in Britain’s festival circuits, and this song often gets the summer crowd going more than most.

Jack Gilbert and Harry Chapman

LeeFest - 29th-30th June

A Blagger’s Guide to… the Royal Shakespeare Company