As the Olympic torch entered Nottingham, three of the University of Nottingham’s own students were given the honour of carrying the flame:

Chris Hill
Chris Hill is a part time PhD student with the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Writing a PhD on reduction of fuel consumption in diesel engines, Chris is one of the leading figures in the movement towards creating a healthy and sustainable environment. As part of the team of Project Nottingham, Chris has helped mobilise the student body in becoming more environmentally aware, from organising film screenings to apple pressings. His nominator for carrying the flame said, “he always has the ambition of changing the world for the better”. Unable to take part in many sports due to long term health conditions, he regrets only ever being able to “watch them from afar”. Carrying the torch has therefore been an incredible opportunity to play a role in this crucial part of an ancient and exciting tradition.

Dannie Carpenter
Dannie Carpenter is a post-doctoral research fellow in the School of Biology. As a member of the university she has been an active member in sports, both in the Netball team and as captain of the Hockey team. Dannie is pregnant so won’t be running alone, and is of course “very excited!”. Incredibly grateful of the nominations she has received, she says the experience has been “overwhelming”.

Taylor Amerman
Taylor Amerman is an American student studying Corporate Social Responsibility at the University of Nottingham. She has wide achievements both academically and in terms of sport. Taylor has run several mini marathons for Multiple Sclerosis charities, in aid of her father who suffers from the disease, as well as having significant achievements at collegiate level lacrosse and a long track record of volunteering with hockey. Building a strong community is something Taylor believes is crucial, and hopes to continue a career in Community Relations after graduating. Currently she volunteers with local schools, which she “absolutely loves”. Having been nominated to carry the torch she said she was “surprised, excited, honoured and humbled”. This is another opportunity for Taylor to inspire others, which she says is what the Olympics is really all about.

Emily Tripp

The Olympic Torch and Chris Moyles Arrive in Nottingham

Cameron’s New Deal: Looking Out For the Public?