It’s the end of the university year for us all, and for some, the final year where you step out into the world after working incredibly hard (or just managing to drag yourself to lectures and exams) for the past few months. Whether you are returning next year or not, friends will be scattering across the country or the world, and this may be the last time you see these friends for a while. So before saying those teary farewells, why not have one last get-together with some great food and even better company?

This dish is great for sharing and is perfect to cook when you don’t want to spend the whole night in the kitchen; the recipe serves four, but can easily be scaled up to serve more.

What You’ll Need…
4 Chicken Legs (or one per person if there are more than four of you)
A Few Cloves of Garlic
1 Lemon
1kg Baby New Potatoes
Selection of Salad Leaves
Cherry Tomatoes
Spring Onions
Olive Oil
Wholegrain Mustard

Pre-heat an oven to 180°, place the chicken legs in a roasting tray skin side up and season with salt and crushed black pepper. Now grate the zest of the lemon over the chicken; this gives it a lovely fresh taste, then cover with tinfoil and place in the oven for around 45 minutes, removing the foil after 30 minutes to allow the skin to crisp up.

While the chicken is cooking, boil the potatoes until a knife can be easily pushed through them; it’s best to do this with the larger potatoes as these take the longest to cook. When they are done, drain the water from the pan; add a knob of butter and the sprig of mint to the potatoes and cover until you are ready to serve.

Finally, prepare the salad by using a mix of different leaves, chopped peppers, cherry tomatoes, and finely chopped spring onions. For the dressing, squeeze the juice from the lemon, mix the juice and olive oil, one part lemon juice to three parts olive oil, then add a tablespoon of wholegrain mustard and a pinch of salt. Give the dressing a good mix. I make mine in an old empty jam jar so I can put the lid on and shake it; this way, if there is any leftover, it can be saved. Just before serving, toss the salad in the dressing, and serve the potatoes, salad, and chicken on a big plate for everyone to dig into. Enjoy!

Miles Harrison

From BNOC to BNOI: Top Tips to Working the White Isle

Nottingham University establishes links with Africa