It would be easy to forget in the wake of Jubilee celebrations, the Queen’s visit to Nottingham, Euro 2012 and exams that the Olympics are this summer. But whilst all this has been going on, the Olympic torch has slowly been creeping around the country and the clock has been ticking, meaning that the Olympics are now less than a month away. With only 29 days until the opening ceremony, the torch rolled into Nottingham and with it came a high profile visitor to the university.

As the thunder rumbled and disrupted the torch in Mansfield on Thursday lunchtime, the final touches were being put to the centre of Nottingham ahead of the festivities later that day. Everyone from any persuasion seemed to be waiting in the city centre: from people such as Karen, from West Bridgford, who is going to half a dozen sessions at the games; to those who just wanted to take in the atmosphere with their family for a once in a lifetime opportunity, like Andy from central Nottingham.

The crowd were whipped into a frenzy by the entertainment on offer from the likes of Britain’s got Talent duo Twist & Pulse and musician Loick Essien. Meanwhile, the Olympic flame was taken onto ice for the first time in its history, as local Olympians Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean (Gold medalists at the 1984 Winter Olympics) performed a specially choreographed routine for the occasion.

The rumble of excitement grew as the crowd were informed that the Olympic torch was on its way to Old Market Square. A few minutes later, cheers from towards the back of the crowd indicated that Torvill & Dean were running to the front, carrying the Olympic torch together. They emerged onto the stage, to cheers from the 18,000 people, who packed into the centre of Nottingham, carrying the flame that has travelled from Greece and all across the United Kingdom. They then moved across the stage to light Nottingham’s very own Olympic beacon, which was nigh on impossible to see, as the sun was so bright on a glorious summer’s evening. Despite this, the whole occasion still felt like a special moment for the Nottingham community.

The next morning, the Olympic flame was still in Nottingham and so was Radio 1’s Breakfast Show with Chris Moyles, being hosted by the University of Nottingham’s very own URN. Throughout the Olympic Torch Relay, Chris Moyles has been taking his breakfast show all over the country to visit various radio stations.

Whilst Moyles broadcast his show to the world from URN, the Olympic flame was making its way through Nottingham’s student heartland with a trip to Lenton and Jubilee Campus. Any students still around in Lenton were out (most of them still in pyjamas) to cheer the torch and there was a superb turnout at Jubilee Campus.

Moyles’ show continued throughout all of this, with his producers chipping in occasionally with the stories of the torch en route. Eventually at the end of the show, Chris Moyles and his team made their way out of the Portland building, Moyles praised the professional team at URN; and gave special praise to station editor Robin Murphy who had been “looking after him perfectly”.

Jonny Lupton, station editor-elect commented, “It’s fantastic for URN to be able to say we can accommodate a Radio 1 team and it’s great to think that Chris Moyles has now broadcast from the very same studios our presenters do every day during term time.”

Liam Coleman

The EPSRC Reform

Nottingham University Students Part of Olympic Torch Relay: Profiles