“Freedom of speech means the freedom to remain silent. If our Scottish and Welsh athletes wish to forgo singing the National Anthem it’s their right as Britons”

While popular opinion of the Royal Family following the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee & the Royal wedding might be at an all time high (where “all time” here means the period since Diana’s death), there is a significant minority who are less than “loyal” subjects. These heretics aren’t found in London’s sewers wearing V for Vendetta masks, plotting to finish what Guy Fawkes started, nor are they charging up to Buckingham Palace with torches and pitchforks; the so called dissenters can be found in our football stadiums, on our athletics tracks and in our velodromes. Their supposed treason? Refusing to sing our national anthem – a crime so severe that some have suggested the athletes should not be allowed to compete.

Before I go on, it must be said that people choose not to sing the anthem for a variety of different reasons. As we saw with Jessica Ennis, some are simply overcome with emotion to the point that they can barely breathe, let alone sing.  For others, such as Welsh footballers Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamy, the decision is a little more premeditated. Whilst some have managed to circumvent the question of why they didn’t sing, others have been more vocal: Footballer Kim Little said she made a “personal choice” not to sing the anthem because she is Scottish. The fifth verse of the anthem, though rarely sung, includes the controversial line “Rebellious Scots to crush”. I think Ms Little can be forgiven for refusing to sing a song that prays for her own demise.

The athletes’ silence bothers chat show host Piers Morgan so much so that he has promised to donate £1,000 to Great Ormond St Hospital for each Team GB gold-winning athlete who sings God Save The Queen. From one vantage point it may seem like a harmless little incentive, however Morgan’s (albeit very generous) ‘offer’ is tantamount to bribery, if not emotional blackmail.

Suggesting that those who don’t agree with the anthem don’t feel proud to be British or to compete under our flag is an insidious approach to take. A distinction must be made between representing Britain and pledging allegiance to an elitist, unelected monarchy. Though officially a head of state, Queen Elizabeth’s power is largely symbolic – but by creating this fuss Piers Morgan et al are allowing a symbol to wield more power over us than she really should.

There is often a debate about what it means to be British, but one of the most important and universally agreed upon principles is freedom of speech. This must also include the freedom to remain silent, lest the lyrics “God Save the Queen, the fascist regime” become prophetic.

Ramsha Jamal

“A charitable incentive and some influential concessions by our Scottish and Welsh athletes might be all it needs to inspire Team GB to sing their hearts out.”

With all the Team GB gold medal fever about, you might think athletes would be feeling patriotic enough to bawl the national anthem while they have the chance – be that before competing or, particularly, when they win.

Apparently not. Scottish and Welsh footballers have been criticised for standing in silence amongst their singing team mates before matches, as well as cyclist Chris Hoy and Britain’s new Olympics hero Jessica Ennis for being oddly quiet after winning gold while the crowd roared the anthem. Piers Morgan became so incensed by this that he caused a twitter storm by offering £1000 to Great Ormond Street hospital for every winning athlete who dares to sing ‘God Save the Queen’.

It is a little embarrassing that Mr. Morgan feels he needs to interfere in something that you hope should come natural to competitors who have had the privilege to not only compete for their country, but also win. There has been no other time when the world’s lenses have been so focused on London and Great Britain as a nation. Athletes should want the world to come away with a good impression of British pride in sport, but should we force them? Do we risk becoming like Serbia, who infamously dropped forward Adem Ljajic for not singing the national anthem ahead of the football team’s friendly with Spain in May?

Considering the fifth verse of the anthem contains the lyric “Rebellious Scots to crush” and the various nationality blunders in Olympic football it is understandable why Scottish and Welsh athletes might refuse to sing what is arguably a very English song. The liberal values of our country mean that this is a personal freedom that we must respect. Still, there was something touching in the way that Andy Murray (quoted for saying that he would support “anyone but England” in the 2006 World Cup) embraced his dual nationality and his massive British fanbase by joining in with the anthem in his own choked up way following his victory in the Men’s Singles last Sunday. It displayed a powerful message of Olympic unity to the world and a sense of GB as a real team. Murray was certainly feeling it when he admitted to taking inspiration from the British gold medal winner Mo Farah while preparing for his final against long-time rival Roger Federer.

This is something I believe English athletes in Team GB can draw on without us forcing them to. If Scottish Andy Murray can do it, then surely they can? Especially in the knowledge that the spotlight is on them as representatives of their nation. They do not need a coercive hand like that of Serbia’s, but an inspiring, encouraging one that is fitting to our intrinsic British values of personal liberty. There has to be a way inspire our athletes with a sense of honour so they can stand up in victory and enjoy it on behalf of the country, the crowd and themselves. After all, they may only get one or two chances to do it considering the brevity of an athlete’s career. A charitable incentive (even if it is from Piers Morgan) that so far has raised £22k and Andy Murray’s example might just be it.

Emily Shackleton

Has the Olympics Run its Course?

London 2012: A renewed sense of Britishness?

1. anon
    August 8, 2012 at 21:30 — Reply

Are we not reading a bit too much into the national anthem? That “rebellious Scots to crush” verse was never official – it was put in the back of a 19th century equivalent of a lad’s mag (Gentlemen’s Magazine).

If they’re republican, it’s a different story I guess. But the Monarch isn’t really exclusively English. There is blood from all over the British Isles (and elsewhere in Europe) in our Royals.

So really: they represent GB, they are British, why on Earth not sing it?

2. Whoever
    August 8, 2012 at 22:47 — Reply

1 – We don’t have a national anthem, we have a royal anthem.

2 – I don’t believe it should be suggested that a refusal to sing this anthem is unpatriotic. As mentioned, The song isn’t about a country, it’s about an old woman we pay to keep (and have no choice but to do so). Unless the queen and the UK are literal synonyms (which they aren’t…) then refusing to sing a song about an old woman in an unelected post is in no way akin to refusing to sing a song about the country in which a person was born/is a citizen of/represents (which the ‘national anthem’ is not).

3 – Considering the previous point, surely criticising someone for not wanting to sing this song which they feel in no way represents them (or their country) is worse than someone not singing along to it. “What, you love your country but don’t feel a connection to the queen and therefore refuse to sing this song about her? UNPATRIOTIC SCUM!” I strongly suspect that the people criticising are the type of people who want the world to shut up and be quiet, sit still, behave, and do, say and think as they do. But then again, as a country we do have previous in that area :S shame, I thought we’d moved on. Apparently not, but at least we ditched the outdated, unnecessary sponge who is’nt wanted by a lot of the populat – oh wait…

3. marianne dunn
    August 8, 2012 at 23:56 — Reply

the athletes,although having worked very hard to get where they are,are nevertheless extremely privileged, and should take pride in singing the national anthem,-only one verse is required and those who do not sing it do so to send a negative message, even just mouthing something would be better than those firmly pressed shut lips. What is the point they are making???Just sing the anthem,then go and take the money and in doing so cost Mr. Morgan some more money,he can afford it and it is for a good cause…so grow up and get a grip and sing…

4. Jamie
    August 8, 2012 at 23:58 — Reply

You have forget to mention the Northern Ireland athletes taking part for Great Britain also!

5. Paul
    August 9, 2012 at 00:00 — Reply

What if you’re an atheist and a republican? Why should you be forced to sing about God and the queen?
    What if you just don’t feel comfortable singing on live TV?
    Morgan’s a cretin.

6. Nick
    August 9, 2012 at 00:01 — Reply

People don’t seem to realise that the anthem is the British anthem, not the English anthem. Although athletes have the right to not sing it, to say that it’s because of being Scottish or Welsh shouldn’t matter.

• birdie
      August 9, 2012 at 06:46 — Reply

i think you’ll find that god save the queen is the english anthem, which is one of the reasons i as a welshwoman living in britain cannot sing it. it is not british to me it is english. two other reasons why i can’t sing it is because i feel no strong need to thank god for anything and i certainly don’t want to pledge allegiance to an out of date, expensive, powerless monarch.

• Anonymous
        February 27, 2015 at 15:16 — Reply

Birdie for president

7. rachel green
    August 9, 2012 at 00:07 — Reply

I definately agree with the first argument. I am british born and bred and certainly not proud to be british when there are people like Piers, J Vile and simon X factor in it. Why should someone be proud of a country when there are so many bad things I am proud of certain people within the country such as J Ennis who have done good things within the country and also our national anthem is all about the royalty not the country so I think it shows independent thought and not following the crowd to not sing the anthem let’s have an anthem about strength of mind trying hard independence

8. Rebecca
    August 9, 2012 at 00:12 — Reply

I don’t think it is fair to expect our athletes, who have just given their all representing this country, to sing GSTQ or be deemed unpatriotic. They competed (and won) for ‘us’ so ‘we’ should sing to them. For me, the athletes singing, at that point, is like someone singing happy birthday to themselves. And I’m sure those that do sing aren’t always singing out of pride for their country, but often because they are in a good mood, having just won, and a song comes on that they know, so more habit than patriotism. Not to mention that a lot has just happened for these amazing athletes, winning a medal, getting a PB, achieving a lifelong aim/ambition so they should be allowed to stand there in first place and soak up the atmosphere and not be made to feel bad for enjoying their moment instead of pledging allegiance to the queen. Well done Team GB! You’ve done us proud, whether you sing or not!

9. August 9, 2012 at 00:15 — Reply

They have represented TeamGB and won Gold, some are too emotional or knackered so it is up to them that they sing or not.

Piers Morgan is just after a Knighthood with all this lark and I’ve spoke to Liz (ER II) and she says he has got no chance despite donating to charity, so give it a rest.

Wiggo won the Tour de France and he didn’t know what all the fuss was about sitting in New York, time of the Olympics he has come over here spouting off about Winners should sing the national anthem if they win Gold, does he think this is a round of X Factor or Britain’s got talent?

10. Emma
    August 9, 2012 at 00:30 — Reply

team gb is such a joke. at least that’s the feeling we get down here in Nigeria. If you won’t sing the anthem, why compete under the flag?

11. Mike Baldwin
    August 9, 2012 at 00:48 — Reply

There are numerous occasions when the National Anthem is played but where people stand in respectful silence rather than sing – it doesn’t mean they are not patriots.

12. Del
    August 9, 2012 at 01:15 — Reply

The point about Morgan’s incentive being tantamount to emotional blackmail is an excellent one. He is, in effect, saying to Team GB ‘If you don’t sing, these sick kids won’t get any cash’.
    Well, we’re hoping that they will. There’s a page where you can donate to raise that cash that he won’t give. It’s here:
    If his motives were entirely charitable, he’d donate whether winners sang or not.

13. Annie
    August 9, 2012 at 02:18 — Reply

Firstly, the Olympics is not about countries as such but about individuals achieving greatness, which is why there is no overall ‘winning’ country with the most medals at the end of the games. When the anthems are played surely it is FOR the athlete, for them to be celebrated through a piece of music that is supposed to represent them, not so we can all watch from our living rooms and get emotional about how proud these athletes are to be British… It isn’t about honouring the country, but the person, I’d imagine it would feel quite awkward singing to congratulate yourself for your own victory – it’s too much like high fiving yourself! And besides all else, its totally their call anyway, who are we to judge these immensely talented people for not singing seven lines about our head of state? Doing what they do wearing a Union Jack, under the name Team GB is plenty patriotism for me.

14. Steve
    August 9, 2012 at 02:20 — Reply

It’s notable that Andy Murray (Winner) chose to sing the anthem and the football team (Losers) did not.
    I don’t mean that singing the national anthem makes you a better athlete, but it is all about commitment.
    If you choose to represent a team, then you should respect that team, as a member of it, for all its strengths and all its faults.
    To succeed, you need to be 100% committed to the task – not pick and choose the bits you like and don’t like. You must take the rough with the smooth.
    Perhaps Murray is an anti-monarchist, athiest and Scottish separatists – I don’t know – but he clearly recognises the value of his team and respects the responsibilities of being a team member. And it paid off.
    Unlike, our international footballers, who are mostly self-centred and, for the past 46 years, completely unsuccessful.

15. Amy
    August 9, 2012 at 09:03 — Reply

I’m sorry.. All those awful Scottish footballers in Team GB not singing the national anthem. Name them. There isn’t a single Scot in Team GB. One really MUST do one’s research.

I would do my best to sing the national anthem, but I don’t think its cause is helped by the fact that it is a dirge and has nothing to do with pride in one’s country. I like the Queen and am happy that we have a monarchy, but God Save The Queen is 100% wrong for sporting events. Rule Britannia is the one. Is it really expected that one should get all choked up and passionate.. Singing about an old lady you’ve never met and had no influence on your achievement?

16. Amy
    August 9, 2012 at 09:06 — Reply

I am a VERY proud Scot and a VERY proud Brit.

And I agrew with the comments mentioning ‘respectful silences’ and ‘we should be singing for them’.

Although if I’m really honest.. I would definitely sing it because it is the National Anthem. It’s just a shame it’s not better!

17. Peter Fodor
    August 9, 2012 at 09:23 — Reply

Who gives a shit if they sing the anthem or not. They played the song we all heard it why do we even care? I fail to understand the significance of not singing it. This is a completely idiotic debate about a trivial problem. I wouldn’t want to sing it because I don’t know it. Why should you pretend to sing along and pretend to know it? pfft

18. Seb
    August 9, 2012 at 09:41 — Reply

The problem as I see it is that God Save the Queen, while national anthem for the UK, is often used as the anthem for England, particularly in team sports such as football & rugby. Players used to hearing it as their opponents’ song are not going to want to sing it as their own. The solution should be for GSQ to be reserved for UK (stop calling it GB as that excludes Northern Ireland) teams, and for England to have its own distinct anthem (Land of Hope & Glory springs to mind). Given time, GSQ would not be seen as exclusively English and more competitors would feel comfortable joining in.

There is another reason people may not sing; some people can’t hold a tune and as a result feel really uncomfortable singing anything. Having a go at them will only make them feel worse. Don’t do it.

19. Anon
    August 9, 2012 at 10:20 — Reply

I think it also comes down to the fact that the Scots, Welsh and Irish all have national identity and are very proud of that. The English however do not, IMO they have regional identity long before national identity.

But with Mr Morgans ludicrous remarks aside why would a Scot or a Welshman wish to sing ‘God Save The Queen’ it is after all the English national anthem and has very little reflection on the Britain of today.

Ironically, Morgan can say all he likes from the shores of America the true patriot that he is.

20. Jim Jennings
    August 9, 2012 at 10:37 — Reply

If the athletes intention was to make a political statement on either nationalistic grounds (independence) or republican grounds (abolition of the monarchy) then this goes against the Olympic charter:

No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.

Thus When a country sends an athlete to the Olympics, he/she represents his/her country. That country rightfully expects its athletes to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their nation, in a honorable and dignified manner. The place to protest is not during the event or awards ceremony. The place is just about anywhere else — in the Olympic village, in TV studios, nearby rallies, etc. That’s their off-time and, in my mind, are free to act as individuals and not representatives of their countries.

I would also like to point out the right to silence is different to freedom of speech:-

The right of silence, long considered the most fundamental right of a suspect, was curtailed by the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. This permits the court hearing the charge against you to draw such inferences as appear proper from the fact of your silence.

Freedom of speech is the concept of the inherent human right to voice one’s opinion publicly without fear of censorship or punishment. “Speech” is not limited to public speaking and is generally taken to include other forms of expression. The right is preserved in the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

21. Adrian Selby
    August 9, 2012 at 10:54 — Reply

It’s the british anthem but also the english anthem!

I would prefer Land of Hope and Glory, rather than ‘the queen is amazing, repeat ad infinitum’
    but I’m not sure who it was decided the english anthem should be the british anthem…

22. John
    August 9, 2012 at 11:49 — Reply

I’m an Atheist and Republican. There is no chance in hell I’m singing an song that so strongly opposes what I stand for. We should have an anthem that respects and praises the people of the UK, not supernatural beings and unelected people on state benefits.

23. Yvonne Tuffy
    August 9, 2012 at 11:57 — Reply

All I can say is that the Scots are fiercely proud of their heritage and their athletes. We have been a nation dominated by rule by another part of the Uk ad have the Welsh and given no credit as a country for our own achievements and it had been viewed on tv many times the attitudes of pundits journalists and politicians the view they have of the Scots. Wherever we live we are fiercely proud of our nationality and to see so many Scots do so well on thes Olympics makes us even prouder, now they ate viewed as British, of it were not for so many of them where would the medal table be!!! Why should we not be proud of who we are and I must say there are many Scots who ate not royalists, we know the establishment is there but do not desire to sing perhaps the song which is not ours but Flower of scotland is well seen as the national anthem we have and is played at all major rugby. Matches when scotland play. I am sure u would find the Welsh people are as fiercely proud of being Welsh also. A very proud Scot.

24. Andrew
    August 9, 2012 at 12:13 — Reply

Whilst I take great pleasure from the splendid sights of the Olympics, the excellent Jubilee celebrations earlier this year and the togetherness of a nation finally knitted by a sense of unity, pride and patriotism, once ambushed by the far-right wing, I can’t help but feel uneasy at this debate. How dare Piers Morgan, an aloof and arrogant fool who lost all credibility when fired by the Mirror for forging pictures of the war to ‘prove his point’, question the patriotism of our athletes? The same ‘patriotic’ fool, I point out, who moved to America at the whiff of money, bright lights and fame. This is quite clearly nothing more than the vulgar PR stunt of a bilious egomaniac that is too self-absorbed by himself to notice he is preaching of a lack of tolerance, liberal virtue and social diversity; three values that make this country so beautiful.
    Piers, like on most subjects, clearly doesn’t get it. Being patriotic isn’t about bellowing out morally dubious lyrics in praise of an unelected upper-class family completely out of touch with modern and beautiful Britain. Being patriotic isn’t about bellowing out morally dubious lyrics which, if anything, isolate parts of Britain by singing of crushing Scottish people and being patriotic shouldn’t be reserved to only believers of Christianity. Is Mo Farah not a patriot of Britain because he’s Islamic and doesn’t believe a Christian God should save the Queen. Is Ennis who wrapped herself in a Union Jack manifest of her pride not patriotic?
    Ours is a country that’s beauty has blossomed from years of history, battles and moments of significance. We have derived at this advanced point from much pain and suffering for many from: the battles of England Vs Scotland, slavery, imperialism, the British Indian Company, the subsequent abolition of slavery, world wars, mass immigration and so on. To not recognise that the beauty of living in an advanced society is borne out of the plight of many, caused by tragedy, is sheer ignorance. For some, singing the national anthem is utterly unthinkable and would be disloyal to their past and we should recognise and respect their right to remain quiet.
    It’s a shame that Piers has taken such a dangerously right wing stance on this and it only plays into the hands of the EDL and, more worryingly, totalitarian states where such songs are compulsory. It was more than clear that Andy Murray felt uncomfortable after his triumph, murmuring every tenth word or so whilst trying to look uninterested enough not to offend those north of the border. Should an Olympic athlete have to look so uneasy after such a victory?
    Perhaps Piers should take a leaf the Welsh football fan’s book. At Cardiff last week they exercised their right to remain silent during the singing of the English national anthem. Not a single boo in the crowd, unlike Liverpool fans at the FA cup final, just silence out of respect. Abstaining from booing and jeering in itself was a symbol of British patriotism from a Welsh crowd. Perhaps if Piers wasn’t on such a one-stop mission to promote himself (if he really cared about maintaining patriotism he’d donate the money to protecting the Queen’s swans or something far more relevant) and displayed less arrogance, he’d respect the patriotism of others and remain silent.

25. Sam
    August 9, 2012 at 12:47 — Reply

Interesting that Piers Morgan, who has directly betrayed the Queen by moving to a rebellious colony that usurped her rule, is now suggesting that athletes who live in Great Britain and compete for Great Britain have no respect for the very Monarch he has stabbed in the back… yes my statement is deliberately stupid and outrageous, but no less so than his accusing our athletes of not being loyal to a country he couldn’t even be bothered to live in (not that we want him here).

26. Claire
    August 9, 2012 at 13:26 — Reply

I thought the respectable thing to do at an Olympic games was to stand in silent reverence as the anthem played. That’s what i remember happening at previous games, and it is what most other countries’ winners do. I don’t know why Piers Morgan feels he has a right to force his views on people.

27. DT
    August 9, 2012 at 13:34 — Reply

There is a very simple reason why Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamy did not sing the ‘national’ anthem. Yes, God Save the Queen is the British national anthem, however, the England football (and rugby) teams sing ‘God Save the Queen’ as their natonal anthem when they play. The world of football is very political, therefore, as Welshman who play/played for Wales they cannot be seen to signing the same anthem as their English rivals without repurcussions from some Welsh fans. It is nothing to do with the Queen or God or Britain. I, as A Welshman, can speak for (most) Welsh people when I say we are proud to be British just as everyone else is!

28. Hmmm
    August 9, 2012 at 13:49 — Reply

The national anthem is not a perfect choice, and certainly doesn’t represent everyone’s political views, but that is immaterial. It *is* the national anthem, and is therefore the song of the Union.

If it annoys/upsets non-English members of the Union that the English and British anthems are the same then so be it – let’s call for change (I, for one, would love to see Jerusalem as the English anthem, and GSTQ as the British), but whatever the British anthem is should be sung by those who want to have the honour of pulling on the Team GB strip and representing the Union.

29. Team GB
    August 9, 2012 at 14:04 — Reply

Simply our national anthem is one connected not to the state known as Great Britain, but to it’s figurehead. A figurehead who’s previous ancestors invaded Welsh, Scottish and Irish lands….bound to be a bit of a sore point. I don’t know of many other national anthems that refer to head of state (even if only symbolic) as opposed to the actual country. Imagine how we would laugh if we heard a country like Kazakhstan or Congo had a national anthem devoted to their leader, and not the country!We would remark “bit egoistic of the leader, no?” and dismiss it as some kind of propagandist anthem. The Royal Family is a symbol of Britain yes, but it is not more important than our country.

30. Tom
    August 9, 2012 at 15:04 — Reply

It’s a song! Why are we getting so worked up about it? It doesn’t mean anything. If you sing it it doesn’t make a monarchist or English or British or patriotic or anything like that, it’s just a piece of music. If people want to sing it they can, if they don’t they don’t. Leave them alone! It doesn’t matter!

31. Oli
    August 9, 2012 at 15:06 — Reply

I would not sing the national anthem because (-primarily I’m not good enough to get on the podium for any sport), although I do not despise the monarchy I believe that it is a somewhat unnecessary tradition and on top of that I do not believe in any God. This makes the opening line (and title) “God save the Queen” a little meaningless to me as I don’t believe that any supernatural being has the power to save an old woman who I’ve never met, will never meet and who has no real impact on my life whatsoever (except for all of the time spent on debates on Twitter and sites like these…).

And a point on Morgan:
    How can a man who made a large contribution to the demise of the press in this country before being sacked from his job for fraudulence – and narrowly escaping jail (for NOT PHONE HACKING and NOT INSIDE DEALING) – and moving to America to make a “fresh start” in a new career as being a professional tw*t have any opinion on what these heroic athletes should do after giving their all for their (our) country?! This is a man who tweeted #goteamUSA during the opening ceremony…don’t play the patriotism card Piers – a bit late now. The Great Ormond St stunt is just a clever publicity “look I’m not such a t**t” scheme which has in my eyes backfired. He could have donated a large sum anonymously however he has sneakily flaunted his wealth whilst trying to regain some of his very few supporters in this country by the sudden burst of patriotism. All in all – leave the athletes alone Piers and shut up.

32. GarrowsKai
    August 9, 2012 at 15:27 — Reply

Why do they have to sing? Athletes from plenty of countries don’t sing their own National Anthems, it’s not like it’s something which is exclusive to Britain. Plenty of US Athletes don’t sing their NA and there isn’t a more flag wavingly patriotic country than that so if they don’t deem it necessary to sing but still be patriotic I don’t see why we should! And as people have pointed out it’s about the Queen and not the county.

33. James
    August 9, 2012 at 15:55 — Reply

“If the athletes intention was to make a political statement on either nationalistic grounds (independence) or republican grounds (abolition of the monarchy) then this goes against the Olympic charter:

Surely representing a nation state is in itself a political act. And by extension the lyrics of most national anthems are also political in tone. If we were to abide by this bit of Olympic Code perhaps we should scrap the playing of national anthems altogether, God Save The Queen being after all a monarchist (and therefore political anthem). Maybe athletes should get to choose their own songs, I’d love to see Wiggo belt out a bit of Wonderwall on the podium

34. anon
    August 9, 2012 at 18:51 — Reply

did you not hear what some of the athletes had said about this? one said he wanted to sing but wasoverwhelmed and others deserve to stand there and absorb and listen to all the fans singing

35. anon
    August 10, 2012 at 00:20 — Reply

Now if we just had an anthem that reflected the nation as a whole, I don’t think there’d be a problem. I’m neither anti nor pro royalty, but singing about ONE woman when we’re a nation of millions isn’t representative of who we are and what we stand for. There are other songs that would do our nation more justice – Rule Britannia, anyone?