Impact is the winner of the inaugural Ones to Watch Student Publication of the Year Award.

Ones to Watch, an online blog that works in partnership with Guardian Students, has been aggregating the best of student media since 2010. This is the first time they have awarded a ‘SPOTY’ Award.

On announcing the result, Ones to Watch said: “[Impact] is not just full of good journalism, it is educational, interesting and most importantly fun to read. Ones to Watch always looks forward to seeing what the Impact team will do next.”

Nine student publications were nominated, including Cherwell, York Vision and Leeds Student.

The first round of the nominations process was a public vote, which narrowed the shortlist down to three publications: Impact, Forge Today and Palatinate. 31% of the total public votes were for Impact, more than the 2nd, 3rd and 4th placed publications combined.

Ones to Watch explained that they held the voting round to find out which publications were most popular amongst students, academics and alumni. They said: “The huge amount of votes Impact received shows it has managed to inspire and interest the people who matter most.”

The overall winner was decided by a judging panel. Ones to Watch explained: “Staff overwhelming chose [Impact] as the publication which they thought produced the most consistent high-quality content throughout the year. What marked Impact out as the winner was the way the majority of its student authors had clearly put in the extra hours for background research, interviews and FOI requests to create great pieces of journalism, not just well-written articles.”

Impact was the only student media outlet to be made Student Publication of the Month twice this year, in December and June.

Read the full announcement here

Thank you to everyone who voted for us in the first round and to the Ones to Watch team for naming us as the overall winner. We’re thrilled that the hard work our team puts in has been recognised and are incredibly proud to be the OTW Student Publication of the Year!

Making the Games

Jeff Randall: Born Bankrupt