With Halloween just a little over a month away, it might already be time to start rooting out that ice hockey mask and the bottle of fake blood that’s been tucked away at the back of your cupboard for the past eleven months. However, before you do that, here at Impact we recommend one more Halloween essential – getting yourself a pass to the Mayhem Horror Film Festival. Held at Nottingham’s Broadway Cinema from Wednesday 31st October to Sunday 4th November, the acclaimed annual fright-fest promises to deliver exclusive previews, Q&A’s, special guests and a screening of a classic or two, which will prove to be a dream (or is nightmare more fitting?) come true for any horror aficionado. Tickets are now on sale, here’s the lineup at a glance:

Wednesday 31st October

8pm – 10pm Nottingham Writers Studio present Word Of Mouth Live Horror Stories For Halloween

Live storytelling from The Nottingham Writer’s Studio, horror novelist Niki Valentine and guests, as well as TV archive classics from Tom Baker (Sredni Vashtar by Saki), Christopher Lee (The Stalls of Barchester by M.R. James) and Robert Powell (The Rose Garden, M.R. James).

Thursday 1st November

8pm BAFTA present Sightseers (18) UK – with special guests co-writer and star Steve Oram and Ben Wheatley.

Director: Ben Wheatley. Cast: Alice Lowe, Steve Oram

A shift in gears from the Kill List director takes Chris and Tina on a very strange and truly disturbing odyssey through the English countryside as they take a very wrong turn indeed and the bodies soon pile up around them.

10.30pm Grabbers (15) UK/Ire – with special guest, director Jon Wright

Director: Jon Wright. Cast: Richard Coyle, Ruth Bradley, Russell Tovey

Following an invasion of blood sucking aliens off a small Irish coastal town, the locals discover that the only way to survive is to get very, very drunk indeed. Hilariously horrific, a genuinely funny blend of shocks, scares and monstrous mirth.

Friday 2nd November

6pm The Casebook of Eddie Brewer (18) UK – With special guests director Andrew Spencer, producer Sean Connolly and lead actor Ian Brewer

Director: Andrew Spencer. Cast: Ian Brooker, Peter Wight.

Paranormal investigator Eddie Brewer, followed by a documentary camera crew, investigates a series of local hauntings, while simultaneously being himself haunted by the past. Genuinely inspiring independent filmmaking at its best, unsettling and downright creepy.

8.15pm Guinea Pigs (18) UK – Plus Q&A with Special Guest Ian Clark

Director: Ian Clark. Cast: Alex Reid, Aneurin Barnard

A group of paid human guinea pigs are locked away in the confines of a medical establishment and given Pr09, a mysterious new drug, only for the clinical trial to rapidly descend into a nightmare of paranoia, violence and relentless horror.

10.30pm An Experiment in Fear (live)

You are invited to a live experiment in pure horror from a team of experimental psychologists, keen to push you into the darkest areas of fear, live in Broadway’s Studio.

11.30pm Kino Klubb present Altered States (18) US

Director: Ken Russell. Cast: William Hurt, Blair Brown

Conducting a series of psychedelic experiments on himself, a scientist discovers that he may be regressing genetically. Part 50’s B-movie (Caveman on campus!) all Ken Russell and a chance to celebrate the work of one of our greatest filmmakers who died last year.

Saturday 3rd November

12.30pm Dead Sushi (18) Japan

Director: Noboru Iguchi. Cast: Rina Takeda, Kentaro Shimazu

From the creator of gore drenched Mutant Girls Squad. Keiko must save the day when deadly flesh eating sushi comes to life. Saucy, sick and filled with sushi recipes.

2.15pm Chained (18) US

Director: Jennifer Chambers Lynch. Cast: Vincent D’Onofrio, Julia Ormond

A serial killer murders a boy’s mother and decides to raise him as his own in the hope he will follow in his footsteps. The controversial director of Boxing Helena delivers a cloyingly intense portrait of twisted fatherhood.

4.30pm BAFTA present The Secret of Crickley Hall – Masterclass with writer and director Joe Ahearne.

Mayhem are delighted to welcome the creator of this Autumn’s chilling new series to talk about ghost stories, the relationship between horror at television and his career as well as let us in on the Secret of Crickley Hall. Joe Ahearne has directed Doctor Who and created the cult TV series Ultraviolet.

6.30pm Rabies (18) Israel

Directors: Aharon Keshales & Navot Papushado Cast: Lior Ashkenazi, Danny Geva

A young man races against time to find help as a serial killer stalks a peaceful nature reserve, which soon forms the backdrop for a series of tragedies, murder, insanity and explosive violence as everything spirals out of control. Israel’s first official horror film!

Brilliantly inventive… delivers wince-inducing violence and off-kilter laughs.” Time Out

8.30pm Scary Shorts (18) International

Directors: Various

Stunningly twisted thrillers, gore drenched horrors, sickeningly sick and slick shorts collide in a showcase of the scariest new films from the brightest new talents from around the world and nearer to home.

11pm V/H/S (18) US

Directors: Ti West, Adam Wingard, Radio Silence, Simon Barrett, David Bruckner, Glenn McQuaid, Joe Swanberg. Cast: Calvin Reeder, Hannah Fierman

The ultimate in found-footage horror from a host of cutting edge directors, including The Innkeepers’ Ti West. Sent out to locate a rare video cassette an amoral gang uncover a host of disturbing tapes, a dead man and a whole lot of trouble.

Sunday 4th November

12.45pm Manborg (18) Canada

Director: Astron 6/Steven Kostanski. Cast: Matthew Kennedy, Adam Brooks

From the team behind Father’s Day comes this tale of a regenerated soldier brought back to life to fight alongside a band of adventurers against the dictators of a dystopian future. For all the fanboys and fangirls of 80’s straight-to-video-robot-based sci-fi-action-horror!

2.15pm The Shining (15) UK/USA

Director: Stanley Kubrick. Cast: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall

Come and play with us, Danny – forever, and ever, and ever… Suffering from writer’s block Jack Torrance decides to move his family into an old hotel over winter. The longer, often overlooked version of the horror masterpiece remastered and restored, back on the big screen where it can disturb and terrify us all again.

6.30pm American Mary (18) US/Can

Directors: Jen and Sylvia Soska. Cast: Katherine Isabelle, Tristan Risk

Mary Mason, drop-out medical student, turns to the gruesome world of underground surgery with devastating results. The return of Dead Hooker In a Trunk‘s Soska twins with an utterly disturbing and hilariously satirical film.

8.30pm The Flinterrogation

The mind exploding quiz of fear returns – can you survive the most frightening set of questions in quizdom?

9.30pm Dead Mine European Premiere (18) Indonesia – With a Q&A from Director Steven Sheil

Director: Steven Sheil. Cast: Sam Hazeldine, Miki Mizuno, Joe Taslim

The legend of Yamashita’s Gold lures treasure hunters deep into the Indonesian jungle and deeper into an abandoned Japanese bunker. From the director of Mum & Dad – a creepily atmospheric and action-packed genre mash up.

——————————————————-

With day passes starting from £9.00 and the full weekend pass going for £55 (a blood-spattering bargain), what are you waiting for? You’d be a dull boy (or girl) not to.

Tickets are available from the Broadway Box Office, or online at: http://www.broadway.org.uk/groups/mayhem_horror_film_festival

And for more information on the films themselves visit the official website at:

http://mayhemhorrorfest.co.uk/

Malcolm Remedios

Review - To Rome With Love

Review - ParaNorman