NUS Demonstration Plans Announced

A march in protest against education cuts has been organised for this autumn by The National Union of Students (NUS) and University College Union (UCU). Liam Burns, president of the NUS, appealed to students in a video message calling for them “to tell politicians that it’s about time they work for young people.”

The march will take place in London on 21st November, and is set to be the biggest since the ‘Demo 2010’ march two years ago, which saw violent scenes by a breakaway group at the Conservative Party HQ. Burns added “You’ve got a lot to be angry about. You’ve had your EMA stalled, tuition fees tripled and you’ve had your education systematically attacked across the board by this coalition government,” before pointing out that unemployment is as high as ever. Burns urged that, “In a year in which there are no votes in parliament and no legislation coming before politicians, it’s about time we started setting the agenda, not reacting to it.”

Nottingham Entrepreneurs Win Digital Economy Award

A team from the University of Nottingham have won the Digital Economy Young Entrepreneurs Scheme (YES) for their sustainability app. The successful team, called NeeHoy, developed a digital service that encourages people to reduce their waste and save money by sharing items. Team members Tim Pearce, Julian Rosser and John Harvey – from the University’s Horizon Doctoral Training Centre – were awarded £2,000 plus a further £500 from the Higher Education Innovation Fund.

Ellis Schindler

UoN Students' Union decide not to open Fair on Thursday

Ryder Cup Preview: Europe After 2 in a Row