SS13 is finally here! Time definitely flies, especially when you are trying to keep up to trend with everything revolving around fashion and beauty. The SS13 shows have been dominating the fashion capitals of the world, showcasing the excitingly anticipated AW12 beauty trends.  After finally mastering the trends of last year’s fashion weeks, it is now time to get rid and start afresh! I have rounded up my top 5 favourite beauty trends of Autumn/Winter 2012, so you are fully in the loop for this season – let the experimenting begin!

1.Bare Faced Beauty – Bare faced beautifulness is back! If you are a low maintenance kind of girl this is perfect, so why not adopt the ‘less is more’ motto: the more natural the better. Eat well, sleep well, and look after your skin, and you can really never go wrong. Invest in a good skin cleanser and you won’t regret it. The aim is to achieve that ‘no make-up’ look is so refreshing to see, even on the catwalk, as designers from Alexander McQueen to Acne adopted this look.  Focus on nude hues, subtle sculpting on the cheekbones using sparkle free bronze tones and use Vaseline to highlight cheekbones and brow bones.  On your lips use a subtle shine lip gloss and opt for a nude eye shadow.

2.Effortless Topknot – The topknot has always been a personal fave of mine; the infamous saviour for those ‘BAD BAD hair days’, so after seeing it make its return on the catwalk this season, I knew that its favourable reputation has reached new limits. Mary Katrantzou portrayed her dishevelled topknot on the catwalk, oozing messy-cool chic behaviour (who knew messy cool could look that good?). The messy topknot requires a large amount of hairspray so be warned, although designers such as Louis Vuitton portrayed a sleeker and neater take on the topknot if messy isn’t really your style.  Either way, I love it all!

3. Berry Fab – Oh the classic red lips! A catwalk trend that will never get old. This season is all about deep berries, playful corals and frivolous pops of scarlet. Everyone from Viktor & Rolf to Gucci were very berrylicious! Whilst the classic red lip seems like the safer option, this season is all about being daring and trying those cranberry and dark wine reds, the colours which really pack a punch and will make your cosy winter knits stand out from the crowd. Winter is awful and grey but that doesn’t mean you have to blend in… Remember to blot, blot, blot for a super fabulous matte finish!

4. Statement Eyes –  If your more of a lids than lips lady, don’t worry! The catwalks did not disappoint in showing off the latest trends to accessorize those eyes. Bold, colour pop eyes dominated the catwalk with Stella McCartney’s models showing off their beautifully striking blue eyelashes. Who said coloured mascara was only for fancy dress?!  Heavy lids filtered the catwalk this season with designers such as Philip Lim, Miu Miu and Balenciaga showing off their adventurous take on the classic eyeliner.  Heavy eyeliner has taken on a more graphic approach; let Adele be your inspiration and try triangular flicks on your upper lids with a good liquid liner. And let us all take a minute to applaud Marc Jacobs for making hangover-esque makeup acceptable and more importantly on trend! Marc Jacobs played emphasis on the smudgy, ‘slept-in’ look, using eyeliner on the lower lids and worn mascara which helps you nail the grunge trend with next-to-no effort. PERFECT.

5. Hairamania – Yesss, hair is going colour crazy this season if the runway is anything to go by. Jean Paul Gautier executed this with Goth perfection: think dusty pinks, oranges and blues which worked the models root lines rather than the classic dip dye. Could this over take the current dip dye craze? I think so! Girls at the Pringle show did work the classic dip dye and reminded us of why it is such a craze. Whichever route you go down makes sure that you bleach, bleach, bleach, to avoid any embarrassing hair horror stories!

Kimishka Naidoo 

Browncoats Unite For Serenity

LFW: Burberry