Police closed the Primark near Market Square in Nottingham around 2.30pm today, after a boy fell from the first floor escalator.

Several Police cars and ambulances attended the scene on Smithy Row.

Craig Adams, who was outside the store all afternoon, said, “There was a young lad taken out on a stretcher. There was an ambulance but no helicopter and it’s been shut ever since. Everybody was held inside for an hour.”

Nottinghamshire Police say the boy has been taken to QMC although the extent of his injuries have not been confirmed.

This is the second incident of this kind that has occurred in the store chain. In April 2008, a three year old girl was critically injured after falling 100ft from an escalator in Primark’s Liverpool branch.

Sources tell Impact the store will remain closed until tomorrow morning.

Update- 25th October

It has been reported that the identity of the boy is six-year-old Ryan Hooley from Beeston. Ryan’s condition has been described as critical but stable, after fracturing his skull in five places. He is currently in an induced coma.

A Primark spokesman said, “The safety of our customers in our stores is of paramount concern to us. We are now working with the relevant authorities to investigate this incident.”

Reporting by James Rathbone, Joseph Izzard, Emily Tripp, Antonia Paget, Ellis Schindler and Izzy Scrimshire.

Non Fiction - the books that really live?

Review - Rust And Bone

1. Mark
    October 24, 2012 at 17:55 — Reply

Why does it take 6 reporters to write a few paragraphs?! Mental.

2. October 24, 2012 at 18:14 — Reply

@Mark – We sent three reporters to the scene, one student researched similar incidents and 2 of our news editors wrote it up as developing information was fed to them. In short, breaking news stories must, by their very nature, be a team effort.

3. anon
    October 24, 2012 at 20:13 — Reply

it was april 2008 – http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/local-news/top-news-stories/girl-fights-for-life-after-fall-1-425438 not 2009 and why would there be a helicopter present? It’s a big city medical emergency, not a peak district medical emergency. facts and quotes Impact. would expect better.

4. Mark
    October 24, 2012 at 20:57 — Reply

It took 3 people to get a pointless quote from 1 person, and 1 research to research previous event and get the facts wrong? Crazy!!

5. Mark
    October 24, 2012 at 21:02 — Reply

I’m also confused as to what value mentioning the 2008 incident adds to this article – is there an implication that primark’s escalators are more unsafe than other stores?!

6. anon
    October 24, 2012 at 21:11 — Reply

also, probably safer to say ‘believed to have fallen’ at this stage, seeing as there has been no official comment from emergency services as to what happened.

7. RapperDon
    October 24, 2012 at 21:25 — Reply

is it going to be open tommorrow? i needed to buy a spongebob jumper

8. Dawnie
    October 24, 2012 at 22:10 — Reply

RapperDon, that made my whole household laugh.
    And yes, it’s open tomorrow.

9. October 24, 2012 at 23:27 — Reply

Where were parents? Although this is sad, it’s down to bad parenting.

10. jLogue
    October 24, 2012 at 23:31 — Reply

Its half term unsupervise teens running amuck how do we know that the lad wasn’t messing around on the escalators with friends. The use of boy and young lad could mean any age under 18 years. a lot of places use escalators this could have happen any wear else That could be equally be as busy.

11. October 25, 2012 at 01:57 — Reply

I was there when it happened, the parents were not present, I’d just come down the escalators a few minutes before he fell and said to the person I was with ‘I wonder where his parents are, he’ll fall if he’s not careful’ as he was playing at the top if the escalator that went downstairs. the kid was messing around but he was on his own, , and did not fall down but over the side. As for that spongebob comment, have a bit of respect.

12. Fabian Ehlers
    October 25, 2012 at 05:36 — Reply

After being held in the store for nearly an hour and then to be let out I was disgusted at the amount of people gathered outside waiting to see anything happening. Inside we had people collapse because they needed attention. The management of primark has been shocking as none were first aid trained by the looks of it. They just left the person on the floor, no recovery position nothing. Everyone was crowded no order in place nothing. People were allowed to take pictures of the scene, and then seeing the boy actually coming out was very stupid as it was debated if he actually fell. I arrived early enough to see the boy playing on the escalator and the mother standing right next to the escalator browsing through the reduced rail. I can understand this is a tragedy but in the end its down to the mother NOT supervising her child as she had about 5 other kids who were all running around, primark staff could have handled this situation better but unfortunately didn’t.

13. Debz
    October 25, 2012 at 06:13 — Reply

The child is 2 years old!!, so doubtfully messing around with friends!!
    I was in primark this time last year with a 1 month old baby, when I fight started over the top of my buggy, Between 2 teenage thugs, so unknowing of this particular situation so putting it down to bad parenting is a little harsh, the poor parents must be out of their mind, and at 2 years old, I’m sure someone was holding his hand but what’s to say silly people messing around wasn’t the course of this child’s fall? And what’s to say a parent/Career didn’t fall with the child but was ok and that’s why it had not been reported??

And to the person marking a comment about wanting a jumper and the family who found that funny..
    … You are a bunch of unsensitive pricks and I hope one day should any of your families publicly get hurt, particularly a young child, that people don’t see it and make it into a joke while your fighting for a life!!

…little man, your far to young to leave us, so wake up and make a quick recovery so your mummy and daddy can take you home in time for Christmas xxx

14. kea
    October 25, 2012 at 07:14 — Reply

rapper donald duck and dawn get a life oneday you will need help when your love ones are ill i was locked in the shop and it was sad to see this poor little boy taken out the shop

15. rachel
    October 25, 2012 at 08:27 — Reply

his mother should have been holding his hand or at least had him close enough that this type of thing couldnt happen!!!!!!!!

16. Han&Annazz
    October 25, 2012 at 10:01 — Reply

This is a terrible incident,whoever says that it was the parents fault is wrong as cant have been the parents, yes we all know that parents are responsible for what happens to their children unless they perilously pushed there on child over but no-one would do that! I was not present however I think I heard the sirens and there seemed to be a lot. This is a serious incident to happen and it is very bad that the primark team didn’t help up to their highest ability. We all want to know more about this incident so if you have any information please post it on this site and until then we hope this little boy will gradually get better in time for christmas!xxx

17. Anonymous
    October 25, 2012 at 11:57 — Reply

Why are people moaning about this article? It’s good to see Impact going out and actually involving themselves in the local community. How many student magazines can say they do that? Six reporters may be excessive but what if something more serious had happened and the students had sent no one?

18. Mark
    October 25, 2012 at 13:09 — Reply

‘But what if something more serious had happened and the students had sent no one’

– nothing?? The article hasn’t been followed up with any more information – no one from impact has confirmed the age of the ‘lad’.

19. anon
    October 25, 2012 at 15:15 — Reply

your all retarded. it was the mother. the kid was 5/6 not 2… spaz, also the mother was there, so its not like random “fun time with kids” i never shop in primark but its a well known fact bad mums shop there

20. sarah
    October 27, 2012 at 01:30 — Reply

Like bad mums don’t shop everywhere. I would ask where a prick like you shops so I wouldn’t have tinadvertently encounter your apathetic persona, but. I have a preoccupation with wondering what your definition of a retard is as in my eyes you have proven yourself to be quite the emotional retard. I really hope this child is okay my heart goes out to the family.

21. Mum of 4

Primark has the highest escalater injurys of all shops 7 falls in primarks stores 2 in marks an spencers and 1 im a dunnes store hope the little is ok soon xxxx