A 19-year-old University of Nottingham student has been injured in a hit and run accident on Derby Road.

The 2nd year student was returning home at 2.30am on Thursday morning after a night out when she was hit by an unidentified car.

Nottinghamshire Police are trying to trace the driver of the dark-coloured vehicle who failed to stop at the scene of the crash. The accident took place at the top of Derby Road near Barrack Lane and the driver drove off in the direction of Canning Circus.

The girl was taken to the Queens Medical Centre shortly after the accident.

Impact has been informed by her family that she is now “stable and recovering well”.

A spokesperson for the SU said: “The Students’ Union gives their sincere sympathies to [the student] and her family at this time; we consequently support a full police investigation and encourage any witnesses to come forward.”

Anyone with information or who witnessed the incident is asked to call DI Ged Hazelwood on 101, extension 800 2245, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

This article was reviewed at 18:30 (19th October) at the request of the family because of inaccurate information. 

The Matthew Woods case: Why The Law Should Stay Out Of Social Media

U-21's Disgrace Highlights Need for Change

1. Keith
    October 19, 2012 at 15:51 — Reply

Shocking story, but terribly edited.

Barak Lane?
    Constant use of fragments.
    Incorrect punctuation.

What’s going on?!

2. Dan Scholfield
    October 19, 2012 at 17:09 — Reply

As the victim’s older brother, I appreciate the appeal for witnesses but feel the speculation you have quoted from ‘friends’ and ‘contemparies’ are highly insensitive and distasteful attempts to dramatise the accident. It is entirely unnecessary for you to publish her name, especially as you have failed to consult her family. Lets all hope she recovers soon and the perpetrators are caught.

3. James
    October 19, 2012 at 17:28 — Reply

Can you be a karni rep in first year?

4. Home Friends
    October 19, 2012 at 18:27 — Reply

I think this article is extremely insensitive and lazily researched. You should be ashamed of the way you have put this incident across as she is in a MUCH more serious condition. This is describing the accident unprofessionally and is very impersonal, when this is a real persons life. We’re very close friends of hers and we’re appalled about the way in which she has been portrayed. I hope that you reconsider you career in journalism because this is shocking.

5. October 19, 2012 at 18:38 — Reply

@Dan Schofield – The article has been reviewed in light of your comment. Please also find an email I’ve sent to the address you left with the comment. Thank you.

6. Lizz Tuffin, Alice Tribe
    October 19, 2012 at 18:40 — Reply

This article is wholly unprofessional. The facts are incorrect and poorly researched. The wording is flippant and extremely casual. The publishing of her full name and background is totally unacceptable and her family should have been consulted. There is no focus on her wellbeing – which is the most important thing. The sources are false and nothing should even be reported until the situation is dealt with by the police. This article should be taken down immediately.