Speaking after the show, Colette Thurlow, lead singer of 2:54, said that “the band were feeling great” despite only being back in the UK for around 10 hours, having just returned from the USA. These are just the latest happenings in a hectic year for the London-based Thurlow sisters, Colette and Hannah. Their highly-acclaimed Scarlet EP was followed by a very well-received eponymous debut album, earning them a string of festival performances and a support slot for The xx on their recent American tour.

However, it was not a night that would belong solely to 2:54. PINS, a Manchester-based, all-girl four-piece, opened the night with a set that can only be called incredible. Their music ranges from the murkiest depths of post-punk to sublime slices of dark indie pop. They powered through a 40 minute set, only stopping briefly to thank the audience and 2:54 for having them. Stand out songs included early single ‘Eleventh Hour’ and the title track of their LuvU4Lyf EP, though there was not a weak song in the set. PINS are the kind of band that make you stand with an empty pint glass for fear that you could miss something magical whilst stood at the bar. Their set flew by, often the mark of a great band, leaving the audience wanting more, much more.

After a short break, 2:54 walked on stage to The Gun Club’s ‘Brother and Sister’. This was the group’s first headline show in Nottingham, and what a glorious first headline show it was. Joined on stage by bassist, Joel Porter, and drummer, Alex Robins, the Thurlows raced through a 50 minute set compiled of songs from their aforementioned EP and album, plus a surprise cover of Adamski and Seal’s ‘Killer’.

The band were tight, with the songs sounding identical live as they do on record. The only slight hiccup came during the first song as Joel Porter knocked his bottle of beer over with the neck of his bass, causing slight concern as the premium Italian lager spread on stage, endangering the equipment. Once mopped up, the powerful rhythm section and Hannah Thurlow’s chilling lead guitar provided the foundations for Colette Thurlow’s brooding vocals. On the night, the best song was recent single ‘Sugar’. ‘Revolving’ and ‘You’re Early’ were fine examples, however, of what 2:54 are capable of creating: a highly atmospheric and polished live performance. As the final spine-tingling notes sounded, the band left the stage to huge applause.

It had been a great night for dark post-punk at the Bodega. PINS are certainly ones to look out for in the future, and I’d highly recommend seeing them live if given the opportunity. 2:54 now continue on their UK tour, and they will only get better. It surely won’t be long before they return to Nottingham for their next headline show.

Alex Neely

Alex is listening to The Gun Clun – ‘Miami’

Serena Blows the Field Away in Istanbul

New University Chancellor Appointed