As winter draws in, the streets are losing their colour; summer brights seem a distant memory and coats are drawn close to ward off the cold. This year, however, the fashion world has different ideas. The autumn/winter catwalks were drenched in one colour: purple.

Models in violet leopard print walked a violet carpet at Christopher Kane, whilst at Chanel, Lagerfeld adorned his catwalk with towering amethyst spires. With tones ranging from darkest plums to brightest heliotropes dominating collections, this trend offers a flash of rebellion from dull winter wardrobes and gives even simple pieces a sense of opulence and luxury.

The way to wear it? The catwalks say head to toe, combining different tones in one outfit, but if that seems a bit much, go for one or two key pieces. Embrace the return of the ‘fashion trouser’ with embellished purple cigarette pants; wear them with a flash of canary yellow, as seen on bags and shoes at Prada. For nights out, Christopher Kane’s violet leopard print is almost made for clubbing, and a myriad of amethyst dresses are just waiting to be worn on a night out. If you go bright, follow Lanvin’s lead and make it sculptural; if you go dark, pile on the jewels for a luxurious look. Complete the look (or nod to the trend) with deep plum lipstick or a sweep of iridescent violet eye shadow.

Whilst not totally on a student budget, channel the Chanel catwalk with this gorgeous Ashish dress from Sophia’s Closet (www.sophias-closet.com/)

£200 (RRP- £595)

Take opulence and luxury all the way with this faux fur and leather plum coat: Miss Selfridge (www.missselfridge.com)

£95

Use these lilac trousers from ASOS as the basis for both casual and evening purple ensembles. (www.asos.com)

Coming Soon

This purple biker jacket is perfect for nailing two trends in one, and will make a great tonal layering piece. Wear it with lighter purples and (if you’re feeling daring) canary yellow. (www.asos.com)

£150

Another great layering piece; this coat from Primark ticks the oversized trend too. Replace the plastic buttons with oversized mirrored ones and re-create Louis Vuitton’s Edwardian eccentric look.

£35

Finally, use this Zara scarf to accent a purple ensemble and add a bit a Prada’s geometric patterning to your look. (www.zara.com)

Harriet Brown

Live Review: August Burns Red - Rock City (18/10/12)

Everybody’s talking about… Lana Del Rey

1. Louisa
    October 20, 2012 at 19:27 — Reply

That faux fur coat is lush