The University of Nottingham has risen 20 places in the Times Higher Education World Rankings for 2012-13.

In 2011-12 Nottingham ranked 140th, behind UK universities including the University of Leeds and the University of Southampton, both of whom Nottingham has now overtaken, occupying spot 120.

Universities are ranked according to teaching, international outlook, industry income, research and citations.

Nottingham’s scores increased in all areas, excluding international outlook, which fell by 2.5 points, giving it an overall total of 54.8, compared to last year’s 47.7.

Education Officer, Matthew Styles commented that, “It’s fantastic to see that the University is being recognised internationally for the quality of its teaching, research, and international perspective. The University prides itself on its internationalisation agenda, and it’s clear to see that it is being recognised as a truly global university.

It is important to note that league tables, because of their varying methodology, shouldn’t be taken so much in isolation. The University has clear areas for improvement in areas such as teaching, and it is important that the student experience is focused upon alongside research and reputation in order to deliver the most amazing student experience and bump up into that top 100.”

While Nottingham’s standing has increased, many universities have fallen, leaving the UK with ten institutions in the top 100, down from 12 last year, and 14 the year before. Seven of these institutions sit in the top 50, and 31 in the top 200.

Editor of the guide, Phil Baty, blamed “falling public investment in teaching and research, hostile visa conditions discouraging the world’s top academics and students from coming here” for this trend, adding that, “Given the seriousness of the funding cuts facing England and the strength of the competition, the tripled student tuition fees introduced this year look increasingly like a sticking plaster for an amputation”.

Ellis Schindler

The Brazilians Are Coming...

Impact Conference 2012 Booking Form - Fully Booked