As we cling to the last days of our golden tans with the sound of debauched summer nights still in our heads, it is time we faced the hard truth; autumn is here, woolly scarves and all. This recipe is for the sort of salad that balances between the two seasons, delicious and filling but still light enough to feel summery. Don’t be scared by the ingredients list, just swap anything you don’t have for something you do. Chickpeas can be replaced with yellow split peas or lentils, the pitta could be exchanged for an old slice of bread, the pistachios are interchangeable with cashews-just use your imagination. Take a bite and pretend it’s any season you want.

Big handful of chickpeas
Chunk of butternut squash
One pitta bread
Handful of pistachios
Small head of lettuce
Salt, olive oil, balsamic vinegar

Firstly, boil a big handful of chickpeas in hot water until cooked, drain and then set aside. At the same time, roast a 3 inch (ish) ring of butternut squash, chopped into cubes at 200?C for 20 minutes, with a little olive oil and sea salt. In the last five minutes of roasting add one ripped wholemeal pitta bread to the tin, making sure to soak it in the butternut squash oil so it gets nice and crispy. Now roughly chop one handful of pistachios and tear a head of baby gem lettuce into shreds. Throw it all in a bowl, add chickpeas, roasted squash, croutons, chopped pistachios and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt. Delish!

Phoebe Harkin

Can Anyone Spoil the Clasico Party?

Review - Resident Evil: Retribution