Here’s Impact’s pick of the gigs hitting Nottingham this month. Be sure to check the Impact website again in the coming weeks for reviews.

Capital FM Arena

3rd – The Killers

Having taken a hiatus to explore solo projects, The Killers return to the UK for their first Arena tour in four years. Following the July release of debut single ‘Runaways’, their latest studio album ‘Battle Born’ was released in September as part of the build up to their upcoming tour. The Killers’ reunion has attracted much hype in recent months in anticipation as the multi-award winning American rockers prepare to launch their new material in the UK.

(review)

5th – Evanescence

Rock group Evanescence will kick off their UK tour with a performance at Nottingham’s Capital FM Arena in November. Their new and self-titled album signified the full reformation of the band after a long-term break – their last album was released in 2006. The band have announced a double support in the form of The Used, who are touring their fifth album released earlier this year; and Lost Alone, who have a history of supporting big name rock bands such as Paramore and My Chemical Romance.

(tickets)

26th – Elbow

Elbow will embark on yet another UK Arena tour later this year, and will open this series of shows with a night at the Capital FM Arena. Having released a collection of B-sides, ‘Dead in the Boot’ last month, they will be hoping to cap off another successful year with another spectacular tour. They will be showcasing new material alongside their more classic hits including ‘Grounds for Divorce’, ‘Open Arms’ and ‘One Day Like This’.

(tickets)

28th – Keane

Having broken onto the scene with their debut album ‘Hopes and Fears’ in 2004, Keane have developed their style onto the international stage, and their new album ‘Strangeland’ – released earlier this year – reflects the ever- growing confidence of the band. To tour this album, Keane will complete a run of dates including a night at Nottingham’s Capital FM Arena in November. Likely to feature will be the hit singles from the album ‘Silenced By the Night’, ‘Disconnected’, and ‘Sovereign Light Café’.

(tickets)

29th – Alanis Morisette

With her highly anticipated seventh album ‘Havoc and Bright Lights’ now available, Alanis Morissette will travel to the UK this winter as part of her Guardian Angel tour. Lead single from the album, ‘Guardian’, was released in May and has formed a significant part of the build-up to the tour. Her show at the Capital FM Arena is one of only three dates in the UK on the European leg of this tour, following a string of successful shows earlier this year.

(tickets)

Rock City:

2nd – DJ Fresh

One of the biggest club acts of the moment and a musical regular of many Nottingham students’ nights out, DJ Fresh, will be playing at Rock City on 2nd November. He has spent most of the year storming the charts with hits ‘Gold Dust’ and ‘Louder’ and has collaborated with the likes of Dizzee Rascal and Rita Ora, contributing to the rise of dance genres into sharper public focus. It is reported that he plans to incorporate a full handpicked live band to bring an authenticity and new excitement to the pulsating experience of his DJ sets.

(review)

6th – Easy Star All Stars

Easy Star All Stars have been famed for managing to turn some of the gloomiest albums into music you can skank to; ranging from ‘OK Computer’ to ‘Dark Side of the Moon’. Now they are touring with their cover of Michael Jackson‘s Thriller, released at the end of August this year. Although still a pretty dark album choice, Michael Jackson is a lot more danceable than the likes of Radiohead and Pink Floyd; the band themselves admitted it was pretty easy to skank-ify Jackon’s music. When a band which can make Radiohead lively is crossed with Michael Jackson, it’s a pretty reasonable prediction to suggest their performance will get wild. Easy Star All Stars playing at Rescue Rooms is not a night to be missed.

(tickets)

11th – Frank Turner

Winchester’s tireless tourer Frank Tuner has had international success in 2012. First selling out Wembley Arena, then rewarding a patient Olympic opening ceremony audience with his impassioned folk-rock. He followed on with a spot on Jimmy Kimmel’s talk show playing his rallying anthem ‘I Still believe’ thus succeeding in “cracking” the States. Now he continues to do what he does best: playing career-spanning sets up and down the British Isles. Returning to Nottingham with a backing band ‘The Sleeping Souls’, those attending
should expect unparalleled energy and authenticity.

(tickets – sold out)

14th – Gentleman’s Dub Club

Gentleman’s Dub Club are an incredible roots reggae/ska/dub collective that never fail to whip their live audiences into frenzied grooves complete with energised skanking. Having formed in 2006 the nine piece band has toured extensively since their inception, supporting a number of artists such as Roots Manuva and Madness. They have also made appearances at various festivals, ranging from Glastonbury and Bestival to more exotic climes in the form of Outlook Festival in Croatia. The gig looks to be the perfect opportunity to catch live material from the latest album, Open Your Eyes, released March this year. Live mixing, waves upon waves of vigorous brass, ska horns, and mesmerising reggae bass lines promise an intensely energetic evening.

(tickets)

22nd – Ben Howard

British singer-songwriter Ben Howard grasped a top ten position in the album charts in October last year with his debut album ‘Every Kingdom’, which went gold in April. It is an album filled with delicate guitar playing and folky vocals inspired by Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell.  Highlight songs from the album ‘Only Love’ and ‘Keep Your Head Up’ are sure to be crowd pleasers at his gig at Rock City this month. This is definitely a night not to miss if indie folk is your genre of choice.

(tickets – sold out)

27th – Europe

Coming off of their ninth studio album the Swedish rock legends are back and ready to ‘Rock the Night’. No one can resist singing their lungs out to the timeless ‘Final Countdown’ but don’t be led to believe that the rock stops there; Europe have left a legacy of rock anthems, and with support from hard-rockers Stonerider, prepare your ears for a truly “classic” night of rock.

(tickets)

Rescue Rooms:

11th – Jessie Ware

After being nominated for the Barclaycard Mercury Prize and storming the festival scene, Jessie Ware brings herself to Nottingham for a gig at Rescue Rooms. After breaking onto the scene with her single ‘Running’ she has worked with the likes of SBTRKT and Joker, touring the UK and Balearics. The remix of her song ‘Running’ by Disclosure has been classed as one of the most exciting of this year, so expect strong baselines intertwined with calm releases. For fans of artists like Katy B this is a gig not to be missed.

(tickets – sold out)

23rd – Jake Bugg

Nottingham’s prodigal son returns! Having become Nottingham’s first homegrown chart topper in October, Jake Bugg returns for what will be a very special homecoming. Jake has spent the time between his chart success and this gig touring America with Noel Gallagher. We hope that he will have learnt from Noel’s experience and will deliver an exceptionally special night for the Nottingham music scene.

(tickets – sold out)

Stealth:

29th – Sam and the Womp

After exploding onto the scene in the summer with number one hit ‘Bom Bom’, Sam and the Womp bring their fusion of ska and Balkan elements with modern dance to Stealth on 29th November. The gig is part of a large UK tour the eight piece group have embarked upon ahead of future releases.

(tickets)

Bodega:

14th – Holograms

If you like your indie rock hard and fast then Holograms should be right up your street. Angry, angsty and aggressive, this four-piece are Sweden’s latest post-punk export, combining thick, crunchy guitar riffs with pounding beats and whining synths. The Bodega is the best venue for bands like this: expect blood, sweat and tears.

(tickets)

27th – Iceage

In keeping with the Bodega’s recent love for Scandinavian Post-Punk, Denmark’s finest and rawest export Iceage will be bringing the best from their critically adorned album ‘New Brigade’. Renowned for their lively and energetic shows, Iceage won’t pull any punches when bringing carcophony & mayhem to the Bodega.

(tickets)

29th – The Staves

Folk trio The Staves reach Nottingham off the back of a crazy year. Just before the gig, they will have released their debut album ‘Dead & Born & Grown’ and will have just finished supporting Bon Iver. Based on how successful their year has been for the girls, this could turn out to be a highly enjoyable gig that launches them into the mainstream.

(tickets)

Chris Morris, Emily Shackleton, Ian Fillingham, Jeremy Dobson, Helena Murphy, Laura Hutchinson, Will Marshall, Dan Jones, Ben James, Liam Coleman & Jack Dixon

Kino Klubb Presents: The Beyond

Film Review - Sightseers @ Mayhem Horror Film Festival 2012