As Silent Hill: Revelation began I recalled my first encounter with the franchise. No matter how many times I sat down to watch the first Silent Hill I always fell asleep, it did not matter what time of the day it was, I would always fall asleep. So, I went into the sequel with slight hesitation but hoping that this instalment might be able to enlighten me on what this story was really about.

I could not have been more wrong. After about twenty minutes in I felt the tired boredom I had gained from the first Silent Hill. I had witnessed a nightmare sequence in the opening scene, which included a lot of generic “scary” things; children’s toys, a bit of blood, and a bit of a shock. What I gathered quite early on was that Heather, played by Adelaide Clemens, was on the run with her father, Sean Bean. It became apparent that she mistakenly believed they were running because her father had killed someone that had broken into their home. But it turns out that they were hiding and attempting to escape the people from a town called Silent Hill.

The simple plot could have been quite exciting if it was cleverly developed and the story broadened so the audience could truly gain an insight into the world of Silent Hill. Over the 70 minutes that remained, nothing of the sort occurred. The audience was forced again and again to watch bizarre flashbacks or hallucinations that Heather was experiencing. Each one had the same imagery time and time again, melting surroundings, people with sewn up faces, and just pointless gore continually.

It did not take long for me to become frustrated by the sheer amount of times the main character ran around and screamed. The same crushing and screeching noises were heard every 5-10 minutes and they began to drive me insane. Perhaps this was the ultimate aim of the producer. Make the film so irritating that the people watching it want to escape as much as the main character wants to leave the hell that is Silent Hill. If this is the case, Revelation delivered spectacularly.

As Silent Hill: Revelation was short (obviously I did not complain) this caused a lack of character growth which meant the audience were never able to gain emotional attachment. I would like to say that it was because of Revelation‘s short running time that the plot was not able to thicken, but it seemed to me that the plot never really went anywhere. It was not overly complicated; it was just ludicrous and not thought through. The plot was stilted and above all, the script was painful.

Sadly, this meant that all the impressive work on the effects and cinematography was forcefully pushed to one side as the baffling storyline engulfed the audience. It must be clear from this review that I probably would not recommend this film or its predecessors.

Francesca Newton

Review - Ginger and Rosa

Review – The Unfinished Swan

1. […] game, found a great balance between fantasy and reality and had some toe-curling creepy moments.Review – Silent Hill: RevelationImpact […]

2. […] may actually be a contender for worst movie of the year.“Silent Hill” fails to thrillSC UpdateReview – Silent Hill: RevelationImpact MagazineJune Thompson column: Alternate reality plagues 'Silent Hill: […]