The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 picks up nicely from where Part 1 left off, with Bella finally gaining the happy ending she always wanted: her man, her daughter and her immortality. This is threatened, however, by a false allegation that the daughter is an immortal child, thus the Cullens prepare to defend their family against the Volturi.

Having (unfortunately) read the Twilight series as a teenager, I went into this film with one expectation – that Breaking Dawn: Part 2 has to be better than the book. And it was! So success to Bill Condon and the crew at Summit Entertainment for taking a lacklustre, undeveloped, fictional story and turning it into something rather enjoyable.

The chemistry on screen between the cast was one of the highlights of the movie. The Cullen family have their joking banter together; the old rivalry between the werewolves and vampires was still present; and the sexual tension between Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart was surprisingly high in their euphoric reunion after Bella’s conversion to vampirism. Unlike the novel, the distant friends of the Cullen clan who congregate in Forks provide an interesting and relevant sub-plot, as their backgrounds are integrated into the ending.

The major issue with the original novel has always been the ending: without an actual fight scene, it felt incredibly anticlimactic. Because the ending was re-written for the screen-play, this was the first time in the movie when I was genuinely on edge, and it was very dramatic. Thus, considering how obsessed those Twihards are, it’s unsurprising that this film was simply made for the fans. Each scene has been meticulously lifted from the novel and recreated so that, at times, I felt as though a novel was simply being translated onto screen. Whilst directors of the previous films may have added their own style to the franchise, Bill Condon has stayed very loyal to the books, giving the fans everything they could ask for from a film adaptation.

Breaking Dawn: Part 2 is seamless in its editing. Visually, it is shockingly beautiful, although not a difficult feat considering the size of the budget they had to play with (an estimated $120 million). The cinematography in the opening scenes of Bella’s astute vampire vision is really quite breath-taking; we’ve come a long way from the glittering vampire effects of the first Twilight instalment. Furthermore, the opening credits of the movie were fantastic. They encompassed the previous four movies through sweeping landscapes and iconic scores composed for the previous films, montaging them in an ambitiously long but very effective and moving introduction.

Don’t get me wrong, I spent much of my time laughing uncontrollably at the ridiculousness of some actors, predominantly Stewart’s endless brooding and serious-action-face, but Part 2 sees an enjoyable shift from the teenage issues of the previous movies. It focuses on real life, marriage and family; the more mature themes explored in Breaking Dawn Part 2 make it much more believable than the previous incarnations of the saga.

Breaking Dawn: Part 2 is a lovable, enjoyable and well-made movie: a great ending to this eclipsing series, especially for the fans. And for those who aren’t fans of Twilight, go and see it with friends for the laughs. It’s good entertainment.

Sangeeta Jheinga

Album Review: Motionless in White - 'Infamous'

Live Review: Holograms + Eagulls - Bodega (14/11/12)

1. Tom
    January 24, 2013 at 13:36 — Reply

Twilight is dope.