Here’s Impact’s pick of the gigs hitting Nottingham this yuletide. Be sure to check the Impact website again in the coming weeks for reviews.

Capital FM Arena:

6th – Madness

British favourites Madness will be returning to the stage this December to showcase songs from their forthcoming eleventh studio album; the quirkily long-named, ’Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da’. The fun-loving band will call at the Capital FM Arena as part of a UK-wide Charge of the Mad Brigade tour which is likely to attract significant attention after the band featured extensively over the Jubilee celebrations and Olympic ceremonies.

(tickets)

8th – Mumford & Sons

London based Mumford and Sons have been credited as being responsible for the elevation of folk music into public consciousness. Forming in 2007, they have had two widely successful albums, the first of which, ‘Sigh No More’, was nominated for the 2010 Mercury Prize and won the Best British Album category at the BRIT awards. The band will be playing at Nottingham’s own Capital FM Arena on 8th December as part of their UK tour that stretches across December.

(tickets – sold out)

15th – Lionel Richie

Hello, is this the gig you’re looking for? If you want some classic motown infused with some of the most famous pop music of the last forty years then it certainly is.

(tickets)

Royal Concert Hall:

5th – Squeeze

Squeeze were at their most popular at the end of the 1970s, as new wave took off in Britain. Hits such as ‘Cool For Cats’ and ‘Up The Junction’ ensured that the songwriting duo of Difford and Tilbrook (both of which remain with the band for this tour) were heralded as ‘the successors to Lennon and McCartney’s throne’. Despite the absence of Jools Holland, this is a chance to hear some classic indie-pop, with even the possibility of some new material. What more could you ask for?

(tickets)

Rock City:

4th – The Damned

Seminal punk band, The Damned, return to Nottingham with two of its foundingmembers still intact, Dave Vanian and Captain Sensible. Credited with the first ever British punk single, ‘New Rose’, and album, ‘Damned Damned Damned’ this is certainly a night not to miss. Expect plenty of loud guitars, a tinge of nostalgia, and, most importantly, great music.

(tickets)

9th – Thin Lizzy

The Irish kings of rock make a glorious return to Nottingham’s Rock City and as one of classic rock’s most notable names; this is not to be missed. Made famous by hits like ‘Whiskey in the Jar’ and ‘Jailbreak’, Thin Lizzy have stayed strong despite the tragic death of Phil Lynott and are arguably just as vibrant and hard-rocking as ever. The boys are truly back in town and you would be a fool to miss them.

(tickets)

12th – Enter Shikari

After two huge performances at Reading and Leeds, Enter Shikari come to Rock City, to provide what many describe as the best live performance around today. Their recent release ‘A Flash Flood Of Colour’ was highly praised by the critics, as the band illustrated how they have been “abusing music genres and worthless boundaries since 2003”. If you only like Enter Shikari remotely, this is still one not to be missed, expect your views to be changed, and enjoy what is sure to be one of the best shows to hit Rock City in 2012.

(tickets – sold out)

Rescue Rooms:

3rd – Band of Skulls

After supporting the Black Keys earlier in the year, Band of Skulls now bring their fuzzy alt-rock to Rescue Rooms in support of second album ‘Sweet Sour’. Catch them while you can, though – they surely won’t be playing such small venues for long.

(tickets – sold out)

8th – The Petebox

Radio 1 beatbox Champion and local boy The Petebox will be performing an unique one-man show live at the Rescue Rooms on December 8th as part of his UK Tour.

(tickets)

Nottingham Arts Theatre:

5th – Natalie Duncan

Local musician Natalie Duncan returns to her home city after a huge year. She has wowed the Jools Holland audience, released her debut album and gained a national following. Join in with the celebrations at this homecoming gig.

(tickets)

Bodega:

10th – The Other Tribe

Tipped by Rob Da Bank and Pete Tong amongst others, Bristol dance outfit The Other Tribe promote new single ‘Skirts’ by bringing their combination of pounding beats and visceral synth hooks to Bodega. Definitely a gig for fans of The Chemical Brothers and Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs.

(tickets)

Stealth:

7th – Dollop: Scuba

This month’s Dollop is headlined by Scuba, who will be bringing a set of infectious house and minimal tech. Also along for the ride are dubstep producer Loefah and Annie Mac-supported newcomer Karma Kid.

(tickets)

31st – NYE Dollop

Those of you sticking around in Nottingham during the holidays are in for a treat – bringing in the new year at Stealth, among others, will be deep house kings Julio Bashmore  and Miguel Campbell.

(tickets)

Chris Morris, Emily Shackleton, Liam Coleman, Alex Neely, Will Marshall, Dan Jones, Sam Probert, Will Gulseven & Jack Dixon

Live Review: Elbow, Capital FM Arena (26/11/12)

“All Good Marriages Begin With Tears”: Bride Kidnapping in Kyrgyzstan